need some input on a new guitar program

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by landru64, Aug 19, 2006.

1. landru64

landru64 Member

hi folks- let me know if this is the wrong place to post this, but i thought y'all could help. i'm working with a music program based on an exotic island in the middle of the ocean (can't be more specific than that) and i'm helping them establish a summer guitar workshop. the idea is that you could combine a nice vacation with an intensive guitar-based educational experience. let's assume getting heavy hitter players/teachers to be there would not be a problem, if it were appealing. :AOK

anyway, would you be interested in such a program? how much would you be willing to pay for say three days of all day instruction, ensemble playing, learning, etc.? who would you want to be there, if you cared to specify? what kinds of musical experiences would you love to have? any non-music related specifications (like type of hotel or whatever?)

thanks for any input on this....

2. anyone

anyone Member

Here's a quick list of considerations I would have:
    - Would it be a place my wife and kids would enjoy?
    - Are there good waves close by? (It's an island after all)
    - How much gear should I bring, and will it be a hassle?
    - If it's 3 days of all day workshops, is there an option to stay longer to enjoy the island and justify travel time?

What I'd be willing to pay depends on duration and what's included.
    I don't think I'd be up for just: flight, 3 all-day workshops, flight home. I'd rather just drive a few hours for that.
    If there are good waves readily accessible, 3 all-day workshops, a week's worth of food and lodging, and less than 8 hours of flight-time (from LAX); I'd think 3-5 grand, depending on variables and options.
    As far as who would draw me there... well, I'm sure there are tons of awesome people I don't know of yet, but I'd be stoked to hang with and learn from: Gannin Arnold, Shawn Tubbs, Sub-D, Phil Keaggy, Josh Smith, Dana Olsen, obviously you, and some others on this board who I can't think of right now...

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

Something encompassing the both the vacation-type nature of it as well as the brief 3-day idea might be attractive if one got to do a fair amount of playing in pro-level ensembles and being coached as well as clinics.

I took part in something kinda like this on the French Riviera one summer a long time ago. It had some successes but some pretty serious problems as well. Please feel free to call if I can help you talk through a couple ideas.

4. gennation

gennation Member

Coindidently, I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow :)

I'm bringing my acoustic, laptop loaded with many jazz tunes and lessons and recording software, a pile of blank staff/tab/fretboard sheets, the Mclaughlin DVD instruction set...and my fishing pole.

Not too exotic, but I'll be playing some exotic scales :)

With Ken's response, I'm sure you'll get some dead-on details. Harryj could help too I'm sure.

But, if it's over a couple of days you would want to concider some variety, or change up to the lessons every couple of days. Just my .02

Hey, if you need a teacher...I'd be open for a week in the Caribbean ;)

5. e-z

e-z Member

All excellent questions. Many of the people who could afford this probably have families so if they could come you would probably get more takers.

Good waves are essential. Make sure you have board rentals nearby. And a zodiac if it's a reef break that's far out.:)

Traveling with gear can be a hassle so you would need to have amps (or PODs or some other modellers) available.

The extra days option is a good idea as the middle of the ocean is long way no matter where in the states you live. Unless you live in Hawaii. However if you live in Hawaii and Fantasy Island is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean then it is still far away.:)

I love the idea but the cost is too hard to pin down (for me) unless I knew where it was and who was going to be there. Keep us posted.

6. landru64

landru64 Member

thanks for the great input so far, guys.

- yes there would probably be surf.
    - equipment would be provided, of course. you would have to bring a guitar and a cord and a tuner. please, oh, please god bring a tuner!!
    - feel free to be ambitious about who you'd like to see there as faculty. forget about guys like me... think big guns if it matters to you! if it doesn't, let me know that too!
    - the idea is certainly to accomodate families and of course stay around the dates of the seminar (thinking the weekend before or after july 4)
    - you're onto the concept, which i wasn't clear enough about. it's supposed to be a way to combine some fun study with a vacation!

ken, i'll be calling you. thanks again everyone! more input needed!!

7. e-z

e-z Member

I would think that many people have plans or long-standing family commitments around the Fourth of July and are already taking time off. Would this decrease the potential list of attendees or do you feel that having a holiday coincide with the seminar increases the list of potential attendees?

8. landru64

landru64 Member

great question---i'll leave it to you guys to tell me. i guess maybe it would depend on how early this kind of thing got booked... that's the tough thing about vacations.... you only have so many of them.

9. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

FWIW, I'd be into it. I'm currently trying to plan a vacation for me and my wife. We're both scuba divers, so we always like to go to tropical locales. A guitar clinic at the same time would be AWESOME.

$ would totally depends on where/quality/amenities. I would expect the price to be no different than going to the resort w/o the clinic, but + some amount for the clinic (no clue what it would cost).

I'm interested if this is something real... Please keep me in mind.

Joe
    genericxmail (at) gmail.com