Need Some Input Regarding A Sale

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by gman1951, May 18, 2015.

1. gman1951

gman1951 Supporting Member

I have a transaction etiquette question for which I need some input.

I recently sold an item on TGP and listed it without specifying whether shipping costs were included (yeah, stupid me). The issue was never discussed during transaction and it didn't occur to me I didn't specify until after the purchase. Since I didn't specify, who should be responsible for shipping?

2. JiMB

JiMB Member

Simple, you.

3. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

You should, sorry. If the information wasn't properly outlined in the ad, you should eat the expense.

4. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

He should not have assumed the shipping was free, but you should go ahead and eat it since you never
    mentioned it.

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

How much are we talking about here?

6. gman1951

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Unless the listing said it was included, I would assume shipping was extra.

8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Most every ad I see here indicates the price for includes shipping. For an item that costs $50 to ship, I am surprised that detail wasn't addressed in the negotiations before the exchange of funds.
    I also specify in my PayPal payment the item and shipping.

9. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

No, I don't think this falls on the seller. There is a heavy bias ion thegearpage toward the buyer that I had until I became a seller...

I always list "shipped and paypalled" in my ads. If that's not included (or something similar) it's an open question. I would offer to refund the buyer his money or offer to pay half of the shipping as an acknowledgement that you could have been more clear. That's more than generous. If the buyer doesn't like the additional $25 (which is his right) he can back out and get a full refund.

10. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I always state price/shipped/paypalled in CONUS.
    If I saw an ad that didn't state shipping was included in the price, I don't think I would assume it was. IMO since there was a lack of communication on both parties they should split the shipping cost.
    If the buyer isn't cool with that then eat the shipping and remember to always include shipping costs in the price or list the shipping separately.

11. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

How did you get your money? PayPal? If that's the case, at that point, you've provided your payment information, and unless you corrected the seller, it's not unfair for the seller to assume that $xxx is the price, including shipping.

All of my PP transactions include an email or PM that says "I'll PP $xxx to you@you.com" if I'm the buyer, and if I'm the seller, I send an email or PM saying "So that's $xxx to you@you.com, and that's everything, correct?".

12. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I agree with the others saying that it was a lack of communication on both parties and that shipping should be split. I wouldn't assume shipping was included, but I also specify in my ads one way or the other.

13. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

It is the seller's responsibility to establish how shipping is handled up front, imo. By not doing this, you've created a situation where you should eat it or come across a bit...fill in your own adjective. Again, if I had forgotten to include shipping in the equation, I would not ask for any of it from the seller after they've paid.

14. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

You BOTH should have discussed shipping. At this point, you should split all additional costs. You both screwed up/tried to sideline.

15. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Buyer, are you reading this?

16. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

If it was me selling the item and payment has been made already, there's no way I'd ask the buyer to pay shipping after the sale. I'd just take me lumps. Can't say I would've asked if I was the buyer either. I mean, one shouldn't assume it's free shipping, but it's the seller's responsibility to state the terms.

edit: I'd be perfectly fine splitting the shipping as long as both parties are cool with it.

17. gman1951

Thanks everyone for your perspectives. I have been selling in different venues for years, this one just got away from me. I agree it was a faulty listing, but in all the years I've done business, I always assumed that, as a buyer, I am responsible for all shipping costs. Ah well, lesson learned.