Need Some Live Sound help

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by maydaynyc, Mar 23, 2015.

1. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

I volunteered to provide the sound for a large school fair happening in May in my town. Its like a carnival. The performance area is outdoors on blacktop with a large mobile stage and audience of 50-250.

I own the local music school and have a decent PA - Carvin 12 channel mixer with two 15" active main monitors and three 12" active floor monitors, plus all necessary cables, direct boxes, and a bunch of sure 57 and 58 mics, stands, etc. I thought this would be all we'd need because most of the acts are either local music schools with a student band playing (only vox mic'd), solo performers and karate/dance schools performing to a backing track. But now I just learned that the local middle school and high school jazz bands and orchestras will be performing as well. I've never done any kind of sound for this size group and don't know where to start to mic them properly.

What mics should I use, if any, to capture this? And do I need to worry about phase issues? I was thinking 3 Rode NT1 condensers at left, middle and right of the stage plus a few 57 dynamic mics placed where soloists could stand up during their solo would do it, but its an outdoor show so I'm worried about wind, weather, feedback, phase, etc.

Please school me on what I need to make this event work? I don't mind investing a little money in mics or equipment to get it right.

2. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

They'll be loud enough without the PA. If they aren't, no amount of additional gear that you'll have the budget to acquire will make it so.

You might throw the Rode's up just to record the performance. Someone might appreciate having that.

3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Wind will cause major problems for the diaphragms of your condenser mics. Forget about trying to record outdoors.

Solo mics and maybe piano and bass mic or DI for the jazz bands.

No way to do an orchestra without tons of mics. Maybe the conductor wants to talk through the PA.

4. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

I will set up a few solo mics and make sure I have DI for the bass and hopefully the piano is an electric keyboard which will make things easy. Thanks.