Need some opinions on marshallesqe pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sweepsrost, Jan 17, 2008.

1. sweepsrost

sweepsrost Member

My band decided to get back together after I sold my marshall dsl50 and bought a Fender Twin Reverb Reissue. (best decision ever!)
    Since we play more R&R then blues rock I now need something with more gain. Currently I have a FD2 Mosfet and a TS-9 I modded. I love the tones of Doyle Bramhall II, Mayer, Clapton, W. Hayes.
    Anyway, I dont think my pedals will work with these songs: Live & Let Die(gnr), Summer in the City (styx), Rock Steady, Gimme Back My Bullets.

Also My other gtr player uses a PRS > Jcm900 and is pretty hard rock sounding so I want to blend well. I am still trying to get him to turn down the gain.
    Any ideas on a pedal? I was thinking screw it an us a fuzz to be different but....

2. madscientist

madscientist Member

For higher gain stuff, there's plenty of stuff out there...
    I use a Crunch Box and an OCD, which provide me with more than enough Marshall type tones (the OCD is really good at those Haynes tones)

I'm sure others will chime in with the list of usual suspects, the Box of Rock, Blackstone, Brown Sound in a Box etc. If you can, try a few out and see which one sounds right. I can say from experience that the CB and the OCD sit well with Fender amps.

3. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

4. sweepsrost

sweepsrost Member

Cool, Thanks. I was thinking about the OCD but wondered if it would pull off a thick overdrive tone in such a clean amp. The fulltone samples are good but he is using a vintage marshall amp so its hard to tell.

5. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I luv my OCD into a clean amp.

6. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Go buy a King of the Britains. You'll be glad you did. I've been through alot of marshally pedals and its the one that stuck.

7. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

king of the britains
    direct drive
    crunchbox
    the new lovepedal purple plexi 800(the demo sounds hot!)

8. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

+1 for the Crunchbox. All the gain you could ever dream of.

9. alivegy

alivegy Member

I love my crunchbox. So far I've been able to nail two tones out of it that I really like. At full gain it's like a modded jcm800 in a box, roll off the guitar volume 70% and it has an 18watt vibe going on. I love it. I wouldn't mind trying other pedals, but I don't think I'll ever replace it with anything else.

10. starfly59

starfly59 Member

For marshally type sounds I've gone through a few in the last year including Proco Rat, MI Audio Crunchbox, Fulltone OCD, and am currently settled nicely with the ZVex Box of Rock. I loved all but the Rat (it wasn't modified or vintage - just a reissue - so no surprise there). The BOR has a lot of (pleasing) low end and through my 2x12 Valvetech Hayseed 30, it makes it sound more like I'm playing through a 4x12 Marshall.