Need some partscaster advice please!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by theflyingturtle, Dec 26, 2009.

1. theflyingturtle

theflyingturtle Member

There is a local fellow selling a nitro, maple bodied tele with a rosewood fretboard and Fralins Blues p/u. He wants $650 for it. I haven't asked where the parts came from but I do know they are standard tele specs. I've never even though of getting a partscaster before so I had a few questions in particular. First, how can I go about estimating the value of the guitar? I know I can ask where the parts came from, look them up and come up with an estimate for the parts but what about the cost for the build? I'm sure that some builder with a great reputation could ask for a higher price than some no name schmuck with a shed and a screwdriver but is there some sort of generally accepted price?

Next, what about resale value? The general "vibe" I've gotten is that partscasters are a crapshoot as to how good they are and you'll never get your money back, usually but they are fun. True? Anything else worth adding? I ask because I've never had a tele before and I might not like it. I've been playing my PRS for so long I just might not enjoy the scale length and eventually have to sell the thing.

Lastly, I've never heard of a maple tele. I thought they were always ash or alder but then again I've never had a tele before. Any ideas on how it would sound? Thanks!

2. theflyingturtle

theflyingturtle Member

3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

Buying a partscaster is a bit of a crap shoot. Generally they don't hold their value well, which means if you really like it, you may be able to get a good deal on it. Unless he has some premium parts in it, $650 would seem a bit on the high side. Play it and see what you think. If you like it I'd offer something lower.