Need some quick pricing help 83 Boogie IIC+ time capsule

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mayflower, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Here the deal, I will need to act quickly or I may lose it. I am not sure what the amp is worth.
    A 70 something year old guy locally ordered a 83 MarkII C+ simulclass EV combo with an extension cabinet(1x12 with EV as well) in 82, got it in 6/83.
    Both are absolutely dead mint as if they both came out of the box yesterday(SERIOUSLY) . Slipcovers included.
    The amp is 100/60 watt ...reverb/graphic/fx loop/slave with ALL the original paqper work. Order form, costs,options, manual, schematics including the with a Mastercard receipt for the total stapled on.(Total cost was over 1700- total).
    What would the market value be for this amp(black tolex).....I need to act quickly, the word has leaked locally.
    Near the power cord is the initials MB with a +.
    It truly does not have a ding/scratch/dent/mark on either piece...Like new.
    Thanks for the help.
    Don

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

I would gather about $3500-$4000 with the extension cabinet.

3. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Excellent Condition Mark IIC's sell between $1400-$1750 according to blue book Extra cab is not mentioned but could add another $200 my estimate. I bought one a few years ago w/EV for $125. If he's selling it for $1700 w extra cab sounds in line with blue book value

4. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

IF it was delivered in 6/83 it's a Mark IIC, not a Mark IIC+

It may have been modified and upgraded to a C+ but it wouldn't be worth anything near what an original C+ would sell for.

Get the serial number. I believe that the C+ amps run from 12499 to 14500.

If it's a Mark IIC that has been upgraded to a C+ the price is a little high. Just a little.

5. Mayflower

That date is on the underside of the chassis in black marker. My bad.
    Does it fall inline date wise now?
    Thanks.
    (kinda getting all over the map prices so far)

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

I just sold my very nice MKIIC+ Simul Class with EQ, reverb, EVM, black tolex for $3.3K+. Better check the dates. To my knowledge, the C+ versions were not even designed yet in 82 and were not available until late 83.

7. sfarnell

I think that 6/83 is too early for a C+

What is the serial number? That will tell the story. Also, call Mesa with the serial number and they may be able to tell you if the amp has ever been in for servicing and/or any other details. Mesa has great customer service. If you can't get through directly your call will be returned within 24 hours. Usually, the call is returned within a few hours.

8. Mayflower

Here's an up date.
    I got the serial number.
    It is 11076.
    Also spoke with the owner and he remembered sending it back to Boogie for an update about three years later, which would be late 86/87.
    That explains the intials MB and the the + above the power cord.
    He told me the update was less than 100- and it voiced the amp differently(his words).
    So...I am guesssing this is a 83 Mark IIC and simulclass and was updated to the + 3 years later.
    Does this sound right?
    The original invoice does read 5/24/83
    Simulclass mod and fan
    Reverb
    Graphic
    Black tolex
    12L EVM

9. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I know the thiele ext. cabs bring $400 on ebay, but I found a mint one for $300 and another for $225 both with EVM12L.

Can't help you on the amp.... why not ask over on the Boogie board? :confused: Look on ebay and see what they have been selling for ( and remember, that is the higher end of the pricing ).

10. sfarnell

The amp is worth $1200 to $1500. The extension cab is worth $300 - $350 w/the EVM12L.

Sometimes you'll see an upgraded C+ go for $1700, but not in today's market.

$1700 for the amp and extension cab seems like a fair deal. Nothing great, but fair.

11. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

I don't think there is a difference in value if it's an upgrade. The upgrades had all the best improvements. Some of the first c+ models were too bright and most were upgraded by Mesa or their authorized repair facilities.
    Maybe a difference to a collector, only, but you still got the goods. It isn't just collectors paying $2500 or more for IIc+ heads with Simulclass, EQ, and Reverb. Upgraded or original. Mike B. makes them all the same way.

I know I wouldn't sell my Mk II c+ at any price, seriously, but $3000 for that set up would be right. $2500 or less would be a good deal.

You would pay 1200-1700 for a IIc combo 60w no EQ or Verb.

I see Mk III heads going for $1100.

12. sfarnell

That's weird that your experience is so different than mine. I buy and sell amps all the time so I look for resale value even if I intend to keep the amp at first. Checking eBay is a good way to gage resale value and I've never seen an upgraded Mark IIC+ go for $2500.

Some people think that the upgraded C+ is just as good as the original. Some people don't. I'm one who doesn't and I have an upgraded C+ and two original C+ amps and have made the comparison.

That is not to say that the upgraded C+ is not a killer amp. It is. but the resale value of it is still only $1700 IMHO.

A friend of mine who is on this board recently bought an original 60 Watt C+ head with an extension cab loaded with an EVM12L and a flight case for $1925.

13. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

I don't know if our experiences are that different since we both love these amps and your friends amp at $1900 is about what I would price a 60w c+ at. Simulclass, EQ, and wood cabinets command the highest premium it seems.

Some do sound slighter different and may be a bit better for different styles of music. All in all they are close if they are similarly equipped.

I've also had both originals and upgrades and my upgrade happened to be the better amp for me. I liked both better than most any amp I've played. I like having different amps to play but always get just what I want from my c+. Why do I keep buying amps though? :jo

These are some sales I've seen recently but it all depends on timing with a buyer and seller at the right place/ right time. This is what I based my pricing on but it can vary considerably as you know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-MARK-II-2-C-AMP-AMPLIFIER-ROAD-CASE_W0QQitemZ110236645127QQihZ001QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=24068&sid=2940fa87f7f4502a5e935a67d894dc62

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-II-C-60-watt-combo-1-12-EV-w-Reverb_W0QQitemZ140225059772QQihZ004QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

14. Mayflower

Thanks guys.
    I did go to the links and Boogie board.
    Very insighful and helped me figure out eexactly what the amp is.
    I believe it is a late MarkIIc with the + upgrade 3 years later.
    The original invoice does have the simulclass mod listed, but the switch logo still reads 60/100.
    Transitional period with a later upgrade is my guess.
    It is sooooooooo clean is the bonus.
    100%

15. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

I'd want to be into that for @ $1500.00 or less. Any more than that, and you could pick up a slightly used Bogner Shiva EL34...which to my ears, has a slightly better clean tone. But I've owned 6 Boogies, and they are good workhorse amps for almost any style of music. Just don't get too caught up in the nostalgia, because there are some newer design AMAZING amps out there in the 2K range.

16. bosstone

bosstone Member

On the open market, you would be lucky to get it for anything under $2K. It wouldn't surprise me if it got $2.5+ on eBay. I have had 2 C+s and have been following their sales on eBay, TGP and the Boogie Board for over a year. About six months ago an original, with all the same specs and in great condition (without an extension cab) sold for $4K on eBay.

17. sfarnell

Yeah, I remember that eBay auction for the upgraded C+ that sold for $3K. That amp had been listed for months before it sold. It was originally listed as an original C+ but the serial number in the photo clearly showed that it wasn't. Someone must have complained because he changed the listing. Who knows if the eventual buyer knew the difference. You know what they say: "the exception proves the rule." :)

The upgraded C+ on the boogie board has been for sale for awhile and the price has dropped. I still think that it's overpriced, but the hardwood cab is so nice it might bring close to the $2,450 asking price.

The other links (rover.ebay.com) didn't work for me.

There is no doubt that the value of an upgraded C+ is rising. In fact, that one that recently sold on eBay for $1,175 was very tempting. I almost bought it.

My favorite C+ of all time that I regret selling was a 60 Watt with reverb. No EQ. It had the sweetest tone of any Mesa I've ever owned. Which goes to show that you never know unless you try the amp.

If this amp sounds good to you, the OP, buy it and worry about the resale later. I've never gone wrong with a C+

18. gushtone

gushtone Silver Supporting Member

I sold a 60 watt IIC+ non EQ model with Reverb, head and matching 1x12 cab with non original Celestion about 18 months ago on eBay and, I don't recall specifically, but I know it was over $2K, I think it was $2200. It was in I'd say about 8.5 out of 10. SO the guys suggesting $3-4K are probably about right. Maybe more from the right Boogie collector. If you're paying $3k or less it's a very square deal IMHO.
    Peace...