Need some recommedations on low watt amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bobbtoz, Oct 8, 2006.

1. bobbtoz

bobbtoz Silver Supporting Member

I'm not familiar w/ low watt amps, so I'm looking for some insight on an amp that at can get some power tube saturation at moderate (band practice volumes + lower home use volumes).

I have a Splawn Quick Rod and love the way this amp sounds, but I'm looking for an amp that I can get the power tubes into play. The loudest I've had the QR was 9 o'clock and thats pretty loud!

It would be great to have an amp in my stable that produces great tone at a lower volume (wich the QR does, but I'm looking for the power tubes to get into the game.)

I'm generally a high gain kind of guy but this amp must have a great clean tone. I have plenty of OD pedals to take me into higher area of gain.

If you can please give me a sense on the gain, satuartion, harmonics and sustain of the amps you recommend.

Thanks Bob T.

2. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Bob,

One of the most talked about amps on TGP are the Goodsell amps. Richard is very cool to chat with about his amp line. Here is his link http://www.superseventeen.com/ and I suggest you drop him a e-mail. (Very nice builder!)
    Also I suggest you try a TGP search and check out what the Goodsell owners have to say about their amps.

Johnny Daughtry

3. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

The Siegmund Midnight Special has a great flexible setup. Takes nearly any kind of output tube (Single ended amp), and rectifier tube. Uses octal preamp tubes which lend to a beautiful style of cleans. With a 6v6 you can get down to about 5 watts. W/ a 6550 you can get up to around 15w. This also depends on the rectifier you use as well.

The onboard reverb is to die for, and I usually don't like onboard reverb. He runs a transformerless type on here, and it doesn't get in the way of the amp gain at all. You can also bypass the reverb, and run your own variety in the loop.

Here's some music samples...not sure what kind of setup they're running in terms of speaker/powertube choice but it'll give you an idea.

If you shoot Chris an email, I'm sure he'd be able to cook you up some great suggestions on which speaker and power tube you should look into. Nice thing is, with the tubes especially, you can easily switch it out for a different variety for an individual gig even, and not have to worry about anything.

4. TimH

TimH Member

honestly if you play that amp at 9 o'clock and find that loud then you have no hope in the world of getting power tube satuation on any amp with less volume than that...even a 5 watt amp turned up to it's sweet spot is pretty loud. Besides that...if you really like the sound of the splawn then why is it you want power tube saturation? If it's because some guys on the internet say it's the best tone out there then rething your desire to get it...it's only one kind of tone that some people (myself included) don't really care for.

Now, if all you're looking for is an amp you can get the power tubes to break up just a little bit so as to give you that cleanish/on the verge of breakup sound then get any amp of 15 watts or less and you'll be able to do what you want.

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I'd get a THD Hotplate for your quickRod...You can turn it Way up and get the power tubes going....I have a Germino Lead 55, and The Hotplate is a godsend with that head

6. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Kingsley do a great line of amps. For gigging I use the Deluxe 30, a 30 watt all tube 4 EL84 amp with reverb and tremolo. There is a half power switch, enabling you to run it at 15 watts, and a pentode/triode switch which (in triode mode) effectively cuts the power in half again. This allows for 7/15/30 watt operation. There are two channels - but not switcheable. One is very much vintage and non master volume. The other brings in an additional gain stage in the pre amp along with a pre-amp volume. There is also a footswitcheable boost facility which allows you to kick in a pre determined amount of power amp boost for solo's. The tone stack is also bypassable.

As for sound, going through the non pre amp gain input it is very much in the 60's era Vox/Badcat/Matchless DC30 space and sounds great. The second input option which brings in a second pre amp gain stage allows you to dial in some pre-amp dirt; but I much prefer the other input as the amp is so much more touch sensitive and responsive to pick attack.

The thing about the power switcheable options is that you can get into the sweet spot of the amp at any size of gig/rehearsal. But as with all these amps, they are not bedroom amps. Kingsley does do a professional grade home/recording amp which is rated at 3 watts, but this will not cut it in a band situation.

7. T. Caster

T. Caster Member

Take a look at the Bluetron site. I haven't heard one of these, but they get great reviews, and have some really good clips on the site, especially the blues clips. He has lots of info on how amp sound is generated. I'm seriously considering one of these. http://www.bluesamps.com/development/blueverb_construction.asp

Dan

8. bobbtoz

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good suggestions.

TimH- I do like the tone of the Splawn even at low volumes. I'm just interested in something that gets power tube saturation at moderate practice volumes. I'd like to have an amp that gets the power tubes into the mix. I will not be getting rid of the splawn, just looking for a low watt amp to have some fun with.

Rod- I've heard some negative comments when using a hotplate w/ the splawns.

9. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

+1 on the Goodsell Super 17. just an awesome amp.

10. bluesguitar

bluesguitar Member

Try a Fuchs Lucky 7 head with a decent cab. I use mine with a Z-Best 212 and it's an amazing little amp. No reverb so I use a little delay. :AOK

11. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

Savage has several:
    6 watts: Macht 6
    12 watts: Macht 12
    15 watts: Rohr 15 (I use one - fantastic gigging machine!)

They also have higher wattage ones, which I'll name since I'm on a roll:
    30 watts: Glas 30
    50 watts: Blitz 50

The Rohr, the only one I've gigged with, is a great amp. The power tubes get involved and deliver a really juicy tone - you could cut out a slab with a butter knife and slap on a paper plate. All this at appropriate SPL for band use.

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'm really happy with the Carmen Ghia.... great Marshally character when cranked... Brownface Fender and Vox also come to mind at different spots in the volume range, but they're all kind of mixed up and it is its own thing (with a great bass response).

13. bobbtoz

I've heard allot of good things about Dr. Z amps. Fortunatley theirs a local dealer so I might be able to try one out. I'd like to try the Maz 18.

I'm not to familiar w/ some of the other amps mentioned but I'll check them out.

I'm also interested in the Suhr Badger.

14. Phineas

Phineas Member

+1 on the badger. i plan on thinning the herd bigtime for this amp. powerscaling done right for the right amp is where it's at and this i believe nails it. nevertheless, stick with powerscaling if you want pre and power in the equation but without running your tubes hot all the time plus the tone is rumoured to be far superiour to MV styles and attenuators.

15. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

While I love my Dr Z Carmen Ghia, it's pretty darn loud for a practice amp. Forl ate night practice at home I use a Carr Mercury. Its a bit pricey but worth it. Since it can be adjusted down to 1/10 watt, it saturates at very low volume. At max output of 8 watts, I've used it in small clubs with keys, bass and drums. I don't have a lot of clean headroom on those gigs, but I generally need a little crunch almost all the time anyway.

16. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Carmen Ghia amps can get really freakin' loud depending on what tubes are in there....

17. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I really like the soundclips I've heard pf the Fuchs Lucky 7. I'm thinking about getting one for myself...

18. bobbtoz

I'm leaning towards the Badger myself. I don't know that much about power scaling, but everything I've heard about it has been positive. The Badger sounds like a really cool amp. I might have to let my shiva go to come up w/ some cash for this one.

19. Phineas

Phineas Member

don't know if i'd get rid of a shiva unless you don't need the wattage. I'm def getting rid of a fender princeton and a vibrochamp for the badger. I know the badger isn't really designed to mimic fender but there's way too many upsides to it that convince me to buy it at the expense of my smaller amps. i have a feeling it's going to smoke em all regardless! Just need to play one to be sure...