Need some Recording Gear Advice

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by pgurlea, Oct 17, 2008.

1. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I am budgeting 500 bucks to build a recording suite around an IBM T61 laptop. This is all new to me. I’d like to lay down some guitar, base, drum and vocal tracks. I’d like the gear to be easy to use, reliable and highest quality for what I want to spend.
    I was at a local shop today and learned of two options. One wasDigidesign Mbox 2 Mini Studio Bundle 2008. Looked like this had everything I needed for 500 bucks (only had one mike jack). The guy at the store mentioned a second option; pick up a Lexicon Lambda (or a comparable TASCAM interface). Both come with Cubase LE4. Then buy the speakers and mikes separately.
    Got any advice or recommendations to get me going?
    Thanks,
    Paul

2. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

I'd recommend pro tools - easy to use. I wasn't impressed with the extra software that came with it (most of them are just demos). But, One copy of EZ drummer, and you're off to the races!

You'll need a separate hard drive for audio, btw.

3. pgurlea

Thanks Chris,
    Would is be possible to plug an older Boss Dr 550 drum machine into the interface or do you recommend I go with the drum plug-in. Thanks for the heads up on the extra HD.
    Paul

4. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Yes, you can plug your Drum machine into the Mbox. EZ drummer will sound alot better...only $150.

5. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

6. johnnyjellybean

johnnyjellybean Member

Actually Reaper is not free. It is free only to those that don't cough up the $40 private license like they are supposed to!!

7. pgurlea

My understanding is the Cubase limited version software is free with the Lexicon or Tascam interface. What's the issue with the Mbox 2 Mini Studio Bundle 2008; am I paying for software beyond what I'd pay for an interface with bundeled software?
    Thanks,
    Paul