• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need Some Routing Tips for Sco / Stern Vibe: SPX90-/SM26

Carl_Tone

Hi Guys, I have a two amp rig and and when I want the Sco / Stern sounds I run SPX 90 patch 23 into the front of the second amp and boom.
What bugs me though is that I want more wet / dry control.

Well I have 2 SPX90's (ii version) and a Rane sm26 -OTW. I also have 2 amps with loops.

So do I continue to hit the front of the 2nd amp with one of the spx's or what would you brainstorm? Thx!!

Dave L

I´m not really familiar with how those guys run their rigs, but I would probably want to try a stereo set-up rather than a dual mono:

Take the FX send from the main amp into the Rane master in
Use two of the channels on the Rane to split the signal to the two SPX units (using the channel outputs)
Mix the SPX units (both running 100% wet) back with the four remaining channels of the Rane (using the channel inputs)
Send the Mix output L and R to the two FX returns on the amps

In this case you´re not running serially thru ancient converters anymore, will have the full stereo imaging and can also control the wet-dry ratio easily on the Rane. I think you will have a lot better control over your levels, too, since you´ve been running line level and instrument level stuff together, which typically isn´t optimal. You also have both SPX units in parallel, which should be useful for different programs.

Carl_Tone

I´m not really familiar with how those guys run their rigs, but I would probably want to try a stereo set-up rather than a dual mono:

Use two of the channels on the Rane to split the signal to the two SPX units (using the channel outputs)
Mix the SPX units (both running 100% wet) back with the four remaining channels of the Rane (using the channel inputs)

In this case you´re not running serially thru ancient converters anymore, will have the full stereo imaging and can also control the wet-dry ratio easily on the Rane. I think you will have a lot better control over your levels, too, since you´ve been running line level and instrument level stuff together, which typically isn´t optimal. You also have both SPX units in parallel, which should be useful for different programs.
Very cool thanks!

Rex Anderson

I like the Larry Carlton approach. He uses a mixer with a mic preamp and mics his guitar cab. Uses aux sends on the mixer to feed FX and sends the mix to a stereo pair of powered monitors on either side of his amp/cab.

Take a look at his rig.

I have Rane SM26 on the way and have been contemplating this exact setup. What I cannot grok from the manual is whether the dry signal will be passed to both left and right outputs when only connecting a single mono source to the left input of the Rane. Do any of you guys know that?

Dave L

Looking at the block schematic I think the left and right master inputs just go straight to the left and right master outputs.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom