Need some schooling; alnico vs. ceramic in tweed

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Sewell Wampus Cat with 2x10s. I understand that it is Doug's take on a tweek Super. It came with Eminence Ragin' Cajuns and I swapped one out for a Copperhead. It was a great sound since I play pretty much clean with some breakup. However, I was real curious about alnicos so I bought a couple Weber 10A125s. The volume dropped, which is fine, but they have a real boxy sound. Is that typical? Will they change when broken in? Do alnico/tweeds really shine when the amp is overdriven? If so, they might not be what I'm looking for. Thanks!!

Lost_Cause

Alnico will break up sooner generally and I would think be smoother. Ragin Cajuns should be way more efficient than any speaker that would have been in a Super (75 watts /speaker compared to say 35). the Ragin Cajun is not over the top efficient. I like them. I don't know about the boxy sound though. If you liked the Eminence speakers I'd go back to them.

scott1568

Please do not judge the tone before breaking them in. It takes a lot of hours at stage volume for this to happen....or

You can speed up the process with an iPod.

1.Google "60 htz sound wave". Find a way to download it, get it onto your iPod.

2. Run your iPod into the input of your amp or hook the speakers up to a stereo receiver (check the ohms though).

3. Start at a low volume. Shouldn't hear much, but you should start to see the speaker cone moving. Bring it up to the point where you hear just a slight whirring noise. Loop the iPod. 6 or 8 hours should do it.

Now your speakers are quite close to being broken and you will be able to hear what they are supposed to sound like.

wrathfuldeity

definitely break in the spkrs before deciding, I happen to like to mix a matched alnico and ceramic together and get the best of both.

gmann

definitely break in the spkrs before deciding, I happen to like to mix a matched alnico and ceramic together and get the best of both.
I've done this in several amps. For future reference, Weber will break the speakers in for you for free, just ask them.

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
I have a pair of Weber P10R's in my '69 Vibrolux Reverb. I believe these are the predecessors to the current 10a125s or 10a150s (not sure which). They are very well broken in and do not sound even mildly boxy. Very nice speakers... I never heard them new, they might have been boxy then.

keithb7

I currently own both ceramic and alnico speakers. The alnico speakers seems to be warmer sounding and smoother, earlier break up. I struggle to describe the difference, but the ceramic seems glassier, or brighter to my ears. I would suppose that the brighter ceramic would cut through a mix easier due to this. After some time with both, I think I prefer alnico.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Mr. Rotten:

Give those speakers a chance to breakin. They'll please you mightily once they open up a bit. As to which is better, that's such a personal thing. I tried so many ceramics, and a few alnicos, in my Wampus Cat 1x15. Ceramic worked better for me. Now I'm putting it into a headshell, hope to test it with a 1x12 alnico as well as my other, ceramic cabs.

I've found alnicos offer the most value at cleaner settings ... imparting a certain kind of sound I can't describe well, but can definitely hear. At higher volumes, they can soften breakup, which may or may not be what you want. And there is often a volume trade-off generally, the ceramics I prefer being louder. It also totally depends on the speaker. Ended up using several ceramics in my quite tweed-like Gibson GA40. Recently tried a WGS blackhawk alnico 50 watter. First alnico I've heard in a long while that holds together well at higher volumes. Still with that alnico warmth and resonance too. Best of both worlds in that way.
MD

Onioner

Hmm... I have a 10A100, and I don't find it boxy at all. What kind of cab do you have? Closed back, by chance? How much dope on those speakers?

speedemon

Yes, speakers need to break in, whatever method you choose.

I find Alnicos to have the "vintage" chimey high end, the ceramics a little beefier sounding, make the beautiful midrange for rock.

Have fun and good luck!

Nathan

In my experience:

Ceramics = tighter, louder
Alnico = looser, smoother

Not to say that a ceramic speaker can't be smooth or that an alnico can't be loud!

Generally I want a blend of each to get the sounds I'm after. I love the juicy, sweet/smokey goodness of alnico for my cleans, but ceramic drives harder in most cases. Like how some people are dedicated Fender types, others Mashall. Either one can have great cleans or great distorted, but they have qualities all their own which are identifiable but you won't know what those qualities are until you hear it for yourself, and there are plenty of other variables like cab dimensions! I went though the same thing as you with my Blue Angel recently and finally had to accept that ceramic was a better choice in this amp...

I personally don't care for the sound of small voice coils usually. The 10A125's may not be the right alnico for what you're after. There ARE more options out there worth exploring. When you find the right match of speaker to amp, it's a beautiful thing!

Trending Topics