1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Need some speaker advice vintage AC30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 12strings, May 24, 2011.

1. 12strings

12strings Member

I have an early 60s AC30 combo. The current speakers are Vox Silver Bells but have Waldom recones! They are not original to the amp. They sound good but I know the whole amp can sound a lot better.

So, do I get the current speakers reconed with the proper celestion replacement by Weber or Orange County Speakers, buy new blue speakers (which I do like a lot), or hunt down a vintage pair??

My intention is to keep the amp, I love it. Vintage speakers would be great but are pricey.

2. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

I assume you know the sound you're after and how much you're willing to spend to get there.I'd start off by contacting Weber , then Celestion and then the rest of the herd. See where they agree. After reading an analysis by the late great Ken Fischer on the Cele Blue - vintage vs UK made - no modern day recone kit will be able to match the materials used back in the day. That being true, you probably will either have to settle for something close or spend $$$. If you go vintage, make sure you know what to look for or buy only from the most reputable people as I've seen some incredible copies being passed off as the real deal. Being in a recession unfortunately brings out the scammy side in some people. Good luck & keep us posted

3. ES330

ES330 Member

I had my VOX silver bells reconed by Orange County Speaker
    and they sounded GREAT !!!! Recommend highly !!!!

Their own recone kits are cheaper and sound better than
    other recones I've heard.

4. 12strings

12strings Member

So, I did a bit of research. Orange County Speakers uses the Kurt Mueller (same supplier that sells to Celestion) recone materials directly from the UK for their blue/silver alnico recones. Cost is $75 per speaker + shipping. 1 week turn around time + I got someone on the phone right away which is important to me.

They do offer doping at no charge - should this be done???

I have not heard back from Weber yet...

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  5. ES330

ES330 Member

if you do, get a light doping

What do they recommend ??
    Some speakers could use it more than others.

I have a 2x12 cab with the same speakers
    one doped, the other not
    it sounds really good this way