Need something to tighten up a cot50

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ktimken, Jul 7, 2006.

1. ktimken

ktimken Member

Howdy folks,

not much of a stacker, so I'm poking my head in here to see if anyone has any suggestions....

I've got a cot50 that i'm running with a tele and a '62 ampeg reverberocket. I like to leave it on all the time...really brightens up the ampeg nicely...and was wondering if there are any suggestions for stacking it and tightening up the sound a bit for chunkier, more defined, chording and leads when necessary (maybe I'm thinking a less "open" sound - big and tighter around the edges).

For reference, I'm sort of copping a ringing americana vibe with the COT50, but want to be able to tighten up its fuzz characteristics for more definition here and there.

a Blues Boy or Crunch Box perhaps. I am also kicking around the idea of swapping out the cot50 for black beauty balance pedal if it also has the the cot50 characteristics available in its range.

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

2. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Well that's exactly what the Eternity will do to the COT50 if you have the Eternity gain all the way down.. Thicken/Tighten it up. I don't know if you want to spend that much but the Eternity is a great thing to have anyway, so it's worth the money.

3. K-man

K-man Member

+ 1

4. ktimken

ktimken Member

that's a good suggestion...I'm getting ready to release some pedals back into the wild, so that'll probably be the ultimate arbiter as far as price goes. Thanks for the heads up.

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

+1 to the Eternity (gain down) / COT stack. Another (less expensive) option I have discovered is running a Timmy with the gain down after the COT - almost as smooth and thick as the Eternity, but you get the Timmy's outstanding tone controls to add to the mix - plus, it frees up the Eternity for lead work. I got a Timmy for exactly this purpose and it works great. Added bonus - the Timmy sounds killer as a stand-alone OD!

6. enickma

enickma Member

An equalizer pedal works wonders for shaping tones. Might be a cost effective alternative, although the Eternity is worth every penny.

7. erksin

erksin Member

The Cot50/Timmy stack is a thing of beauty. I think the Cot50 is pretty tight to begin with though - are you running it above 12:00?

The Cot50/Blue Boy stack is great too - creamy, but with some teeth and grit too.

8. Teahead

Teahead Member

I agree with this suggestion and, while this is hardly a 'cost effective' solution, the BJF Sea Blue EQ does an excellent job of tightening up and subtley re-voicing anything I've put before it.

Another option worth trying might be a compressor. A good subtle comp will tighten up the gain, increase definition and of course add sustain. A flat clean boost could also work. Each of these could provide what you need by pushing the COT, or your amp, without adding significantly more gain than you already use.

9. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Menatone Red Snapper tightens things up nicely.

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I am still curious about the COT50 and Eternity, however making the sound bigger and tighter (and a touch or 3 hotter) is what I use my Hotcake Bluesberry for- fits the bill nicely.

11. ktimken

ktimken Member

good ideas fellas and thanks for helping out.

I'm probably looking for a bit more focused gain rather than a pure eq change or compressor - i have a janglebox and squeezer that I do use for that purpose. It's hard to state it, but maybe I'm thinking more of tightening up power chords for example. i'm trying to get less of an open/raw sound (which is how i characterize the cot) and more of a punchier sound. I guess less grit (or fuzzy edges) and more gain is closer to what I'm thinking. I'm better at legalese than gearese, so pardon the imprecise tone descriptions.

I do run the cot around 1-2 on the dial and like it best there because I really dig the mix of fuzz and presence for the americana stuff.

I may end up taking a jump at the Blues Pro or maybe the Carb before I take the leap towards an Eternity. Just trying to figure out what ballpark i'm in before i start swingin'.

just saw that last post...I didn't think of the hotcake.

12. Teahead

Teahead Member

This seems to be my answer to everything lately, but here goes... Check out the BJF Emerald Green threads and clips. It's more compressed than the COT, but still wonderfully dynamic, aggressive and packing plenty of 'punch' too.

It will overdrive the lower frequencies that the Lovepedal doesn't and I know they stack well because I've tried it. The combination of the raw, open sound of the COT and the focused, articulate gain of the Emerald Green sounded great with my AC30, I only wish I had recorded a clip of them together.

13. fatback

fatback Member