Need Speaker Advice for Shiva combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mykljpao, Mar 18, 2008.

1. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Well, I thought my Shiva was dead but it turned out that just the speaker is dead. No sound at all.....never had that happen before. Anyone have any idea what the cause might be? Every blown speaker I've encountered just made awful noises...not silence.

That being said, I'm looking for some opinions (and we all know TGP is not short of opinionated.....ah, I mean opinions). The Classic Lead 80 that is standard really did sound great in it so a direct replacement is a no brainer. What about a GOLD? Worth over twice the price? Change in sound character? Anyone using anything else with their Shivas? BTW: this is an older 6L6 version.

2. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

3. Metalmike117

Metalmike117 Member

I had an issue with the 6l6 shiva combo speaker. I replaced it with a V30. Great choice.

4. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Thanks guys but V30 is not my favorite spkr. Rather harsh to my ears. I'd opt for the cl80 again. Still looking for someone with experience with the Gold to chime in.

5. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

OK before you go and change the speaker be sure to check all of the speaker connections first. I had a Bogner Cube at one time where one of the speaker wire clips would not stay in place. At first I thought the speaker was bad because there was no sound. I ended up having them soldered on and it worked like a charm. Speaker problem fixed.
    That being said I think bogner recommends the Vintage 30 or Classic Lead 80 in the Shiva. If you decide to use a Gold be careful as it is only rated at 50 watts and I think the Shiva is rated around 60 watts.

6. sws1

sws1 Member

V30 is Shiva is way to go. I switched from CL80 to V30, and the amp became much rounder and smoother. The CL80 is very bright and sizzly.

7. se7en

se7en Senior Member

V30's are a perfect match for Bogner amps, which are voiced for a lot of low mids. I don't think you'll find a more versatile speaker that works better for those amps. I know my XTC was voiced to be used in conjunction with V30's.

8. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Vin 30 here. Some amps sound like s#*t w/ the 30's. But the Shiva is an exception to that rule.

9. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Well now, apparently I gotsta change my narrow mind on the v30 issue, lol. Talk about a consensus in the replies. Still looking for other opinions but thanks for the insight sofar gents. BTW: yes, I opened the cab up and the spkr leads are soldered. I get no reading on a multimeter across the spkr terminals. Anyone have any ideas what causes this? I've never had to push this amp hard but it was on loan to someone for a while although I don't expect that they abused it.

10. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well I've tried V30s and Golds and Blues with my Shiva.
    I quite like the Golds with the Shiva....Very different return than the V30s.
    The Golds give the top end a Fuzziness that I quite like.
    The V30s roll of this fuzziness which I like aswell .....
    All depends what mood I'm in.
    The Gold sounds Fruity on the top-end....could be a bit much for some.
    V30 alot tighter , rounder and more focused......Narrower but great if you're playing with a big band set-up.

I have a Bogner 2x12 with a V30 and a Gold in combination.
    Mmmmmmmm best of both worlds and depending on what the sound guy likes....you can mike up either.
    Some of my sound guys choose the gold.......others choose the v30.

Cl80 is more like the Celestion Gold than the V30.
    I always preferred the V30 in the Shiva than the cl80

You choose...he he

Rick

11. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

I hate Vintage 30s, but back when I had my Shiva, the Vintage 30 matched perfectly. Just as someone mentioned earlier, the Shiva is voiced with a ton of lower mid punch. The vintage 30's spike in the upper mids and high presence sizzle works perfectly with the Shiva. I also liked the way Greenbacks sounded with that amp.

12. mastertsr

mastertsr Member

It sounds like you have burned out coil wire in the speaker .I've blown a couple over the years.I have a EL34 Shiva Head which I run 2 50 watt Weber Silver bells & 2 Weber Bluedogs & they sound great and also come up to 100 watts for about $100,Killer speakers.I also have 2 Alnico Weber Californias which are I think JBL D-130 copies.Shivas tend to sound good with about any speakers,but I would check out the Webers ,:BEERat about the same price range as Celestions and I think much better speakers.

13. freaksho

freaksho Member

i currently play my 6L6 Shiva through a 2x12 with V30/G12H30 mix. i had a Shiva 1x12 cab (CL80 loaded) for a little while but i definitely like the 2x12 tones more than the CL80 overall. so i'm gonna vote V30 for the combo as well (but watch the volume obviously). the slightly scooped quality and chimey top end of the CL80 was quite nice for my cleans (even preferable) but this voicing didnt work as well for crunch tones imo.

plus if you get the V30 you can later get the 1x12 Shiva cab and put a V30 or G12H30 in it to get that nice mix in a mini stack form.

14. moj067

moj067 Member

I'm probably wrong, but read somewhere that the amp was voiced for those speakers. As much as I did not want to believe that I tried some WGS clones when they were 29.00$ and WOW did that amp like those speakers. Anyway YMMV yada,yada.

15. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I see people are favouring elements from both the CL80 and the V30...why not one of each in a 2x12? Any phase or drawbacks?

16. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Thanks for all of the responses. After a lengthy discussion with Dave at Avatar, I decided to go with a direct replacement CL80. Mastertsr, I completely agree; Weber spkrs are great. I have an older Jenkins 2x12 spruce cab loaded with a blue and silver bell. It's one of those cabs that is just magic. I've had that under a Fuchs Lucky 7, ODS 50, Aiken Intruder, Constellation and TR Em Pro and it sounded fabulous (albeit different) with all of them. I have a half dozen 2x12 cabs loaded with various spkrs but wanted to maintain the original sound of the Bogner combo with its huge, piano like low end and sparkly highs. The shiva only gets used occassionally and by its lonesome for the simplicity of a combo. It is certainly plenty loud for most applications without any external cab.

At any rate, with Avatar's typical extraordinary service, the spkr arrived in short order and the Shiva is happily singing away again in its original voice. After all of the v30 advice though, I'll have to unplug the cl 80 and try the head with my Bogner oversize 2x12 if they are ever in the same location again, lol.