1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need speaker help with a Shiva

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by prsnstrat, Jan 28, 2008.

1. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Hi all, I am trying to find a single speaker besides the CL80 to use with an EL34 shiva head. My thoughts are either a Swamp Thang, a Wizard or Governor. The EL34 shiva is 80 watts, according to the website, so that is a huge factor in the decision. The Wizard and Governor are only rated at 75 watts RMS.

Any other recommendations? Notably Webers or Scumbacks?

I didn't like the single CL80 by itself with this particular amp.

Thanks

2. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I have the single CL80 in a Bogner 1x12 cab and I love it with my Shiva! I would recommend an EV12L...

3. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Thanks LavaMan. I'll check out the EV12L specs.

Do you have it in an open or closed back 1x12?

I wonder if I didn't like the CL80 because it was in that closed/ported 1x12 cab, too round and woofy. I should try a CL80 in an open back application.

4. sws1

sws1 Member

I like my V30 more, but you really should have 2 of them. Sounds more classic rock / rounder than the CL80.

5. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Thanks sws1. I think the V30 is a great speaker with the Shiva, but I need something that will work in a 1x12 application. Prefer at least 80 watts.

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I would try a high powered Scumback H series.....
    another speaker choice would be a Celestion Heritage G12-65..........
    These 2 models of speakersIMHO are in a different level of tone than anything I've heard

7. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Thanks Rod. Both of those speakers have a lot of allure to them..I may try the G12-65 in my 2x12. For the application I am looking for, it seems that the Scumaback, which according to the site maxes out at 65 watts, would not be enough power handling for an 80 watt amp through an open backed cab...unless they do higher powered series than what is on the website.

Great feedback guys, keep 'em coming!

8. Doug

Doug Member

I replaced 2 CL-80's due to severe cone cry. I had a Mesa Black Shadow 90 in there for a while, but it's a little too mid-scooped for my taste. I have a EVM12L in there now, which sounds great but makes the amp virtually unmovable due to its weight. I have a new CL-80 that I haven't installed yet, so maybe I'll get lucky with that one. Good luck!

9. freaksho

freaksho Member

i'm looking for this too. be sure to post what you find.

i got a 1x12 Shiva sized cab to go with my Shiva head and i planned to use it in combination with my 2x12 (v30/g12h30 mix). but the CL80 gets lost, due to the lower sensitivity i suspect.

fwiw, i'm not sure i agree with the "round and woofy" description of the CL80. i find it more scooped (or at least flat response) compared to the V30 or G12H30. go figure.

10. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I like the V30 and G12H30 so those are single options.

Have you considered the Mesa Custom 90, which once worn in has the goods of the CL80, only browner.

11. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

I have a Boogie Thiele 1-12" with an EV in it. Takes the power of my Shiva, Bogner or whatever and then some.

12. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I guess Scumbacks are going to be offered in 100 watt capacity, so I may try one of those or the Tonker.

13. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

I threw an Emi Red, White, and Blues in my Shiva EL34 combo. I love it.

14. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

The Shiva is so loud, I have a hard time believing folks are really cranking this amp wide open. Even at loud gigging volumes that master at the most gets turned up to 12 o'clock. I think most folks could get by with a less efficient speaker than the CL80.

I prefer the sound of V30s to my CL80 (I have a Bogner 4x12'' w/ Vintage 30s that is heaven with the Shiva), so I've often thought about just putting in 1 V30, but I haven't tried it yet (for practices I've been using a 1x12'' w/ the CL80).

15. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I have a 2x12 from Reinhardt with his speakers that Weber makes for him that I play my Shiva through and I love the Shive through those speakers.

16. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I'm down to either scumbacks, a Weber Blue/Silver combination....or two GOLDS!?!?

17. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Id go with the Golds.

18. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Would 100 watts be enough to handle an 80 watt amp in an open back cab?

Thanks.