• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Need speaker recommendation

RockinRob

I have a 70s SFTR, a blackface Pro Reverb, and a Mexi Hot Rod Deluxe. I'd like to start experimenting with different speakers, as none of the amps have the original speakers. I am looking for classic clean, sparky fender tone. any dirt would come from pedals. looking for round and full, good mids but more of the classic fender scoop. I am using some cheaper Itallian Jensens now which I do like, but they kinda harsh out sometimes especially if I add a TS-9. primarily looking for clean, funk tones.

Thanks all.

Alchemy Audio

I'm a big fan of both Weber and WGS. Tone Tubby, also. I'm sure if you contacted any of them and discussed your rig and playing style, they could steer you in the right direction.

Thin Slices

12F150 50W? (I got the 25W in a deluxe reverb. Could use a bit more headroom/less breakup at higher settings though..)

EVM 12L: It is not the classic jensen speaker sound but the 12L really lets the fender tone from your amp circuit come through!

71strat

Cant say anything bad about the 12L.

Ive seen JBL, EV and Altec Lansing straight from Fender. EV being the Rarest. Back in the 70's of course

JBL was The Standard Upgrade for Fender.

I prefer a Hemp Coned JBL E120.

But for a Brand New Speaker ?

Most people don't know it but..

Great Plains Audio Bought All of the Original Altec Lansing Manufacturing Equipment and make many of the Original Models of Speakers.

They Still make the Altec Lansing 417H.

It is Alnico V 100 Watts and 98db 3 inch voice coil.

Plexico

Gold Supporting Member
+1 on EVM 12L and D120F. Clean and useable. Also Celest G12-80 or G12-65.

Rockerduck

Its quite easy to find original speakers on ebay. That said, the Eminence Texas Heat is the most recommended speaker for Twin Reverbs. They sound good in mine, but I like the stock jensen's that's been in it for the last 22 yrs.

RockinRob

I am not sure I play loud enough for the evm. don't those things need some serious push to get the cones moving?

I should probably try the Texas Heat. whatever speakers I like most will go in the '66 Pro as it is my favorite amp, and the leftover Jensens will go in the twin and hot rod. I have had eminence legends and did not care for them in the past. Are the heats a lot different than the legends?

DaveKS

Pro Reverb, Tone Tubby H-Bomb, 1 ceramic, 1 Alnico.

Your Twin will push 12L just fine, won't get no speaker breakup but that doesn't sound like what your after anyway. A 10w amp will push a 12L just fine. WGS has a new 12L clone you might look at.

Texas heat does get a lot of love from Twin owners, never heard it myself though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom