Need speaker suggestions for a Splawn QR...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Goofball, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Goofball

Goofball Member

Okay, first, a confession... I really dig my QR but the absolute beast-like volume made me reconsider keeping it. It's been at one of the local shops for a few months but no takers. Tons of interest...but no one's bought it yet. Also, I hadn't quite bonded with the tone and since i've used a Vox AC30 for years, i'm used to an entirely different sound and feel. Still, I love that hotrodded Marshall tone so the QR is a pretty decent amp for that.

So I go to pick it up b/c I think i might want to try it again at a few upcoming gigs. I'm running it through a Splawn 2x12 (not the oversized) w/ Scumbacks.

Here's the issue...

It's always sounded a little "woofy" to me but I don't have access to many other cabs/speakers so I stuck with the Scumbacks. Just for fun at the store, I plugged it into a Mesa cab that they had w/ Vintage 30's. Whoa! Big difference! It was a LOT clearer and sounded a lot better. I mean, a LOT better! I almost ended up buying the cab. (I did think better of it when I thought of hauling a 110 lb 4x12 into bars...:D )

I ran a few searches here on TGP and it seems that most QR owners are in agreement that this amp doesn't sound that good with V30's. Also on the same searches, I once again found nothing but praise for the Scumbacks. Man...I am confused. My QR didn't sound half bad through a Recto cab w/ V30's - and yet, again, sounds really midheavy and woofy with my Splawn w/ Scumbacks. :confused:

Is there something not quite right...? Are the V30's mid hump evened out somehow by the huge bass that's inherent in the Mesa cabs?

Anyway, it's got me SERIOUSLY thinking of keeping the QR and swapping out some speakers.
    Can anybody give me some suggestions on what would make a 2x12 sound good?

We play rock but I do have to use the cleans a fair amount too. And as much of a metal head as I was in my early days, sadly, there's not much of that in our set. Probably the heaviest we would get is Green Day/Billy Idol-type tones.

Again, i don't know that much about speakers so I'm thinking I've seen the G12h30 (or 65's) mentioned a fair amount. I'm just looking for a decent amount of bass/mids/treble and since the amp has plenty of gain, maybe i should stay from any kind of "low break up" kind of sound.

As always, thanks, fellas!

2. Goofball

Goofball Member

No suggestions??
    C'mon! I spend all my money on what you guys recommend! :D

3. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I think you answered your own question.
    Don't get confused about what you read, use your own ears (which you did)
    Try a pair of Vintage 30's in the Splawn cab.

4. newking70

newking70 Member

have you tried the splawn forum?

5. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Go with some Eminence-made Splawn Big Blocks and Small Blocks. You can order them from the Splawn website.

I also like the Eminence Man-O-War and Governor combo.

6. heavydutysg135

heavydutysg135 Supporting Member

It seems like on several guitar forums the V30's have gotten somewhat of a bad reputation; however, they are also one of the most popular speakers (if not THE most popular) of all time. They are an industry standard for a reason. I would recommend that you trust your ears over what you hear on the forums.

7. Metalhead Mike

Metalhead Mike Member

Use your ears. I strongly dislike V30's with the QR - I have a MoW/Gov in my oversized Splawn 2x12. I was also thinking of trying out a Big Block/Small Block 25 combo. If you fell in love with the V30's, why not? If nothing else you can always sell them for someone to use with a Rectifier.

8. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I've got a Competition Rod and I like it best with a 4x12 loaded with 4 WGS Reapers....an extremely close second to that is another 4x12 with 2 Celestion 75's and 2 WGS Veteran 30's a smokin combo IMO....I've got a Splawn 2x12(not oversized)with the Emi Man o War/Governor mix and thats probaly my least favorite combo with the Competition but I do like them with other amps....ultimately your best is to go with what your ears tell u.

9. Goofball

Goofball Member

All good suggestions there, fellas. I guess I should trust my ears on this one. However, I was listening to an entirely different cab too so i'm not entirely sure that some of the woofiness isn't inherent in the Splawn cab design.

As for the Splawn forum, yeah, maybe i should pop over there. I usually trust TGP more than other forums. (I was on HC for years UNTIL i discovered TGP :D!) However, the Splawn guys might not be a bad choice in this case.

And it's not really that the Scumbacks sound "bad", per se, it's just that I really want a clearer sound. I don't want to ditch the amp entirely if i could swap out speakers. Who knows, it might be that the QR will just sound better with another cab too.

Thanks for the help, guys.

10. waylay00

waylay00 Member

I think the people at the Splawn forum would know better than most of the guys here.

You have to remember, TGP can be a little full of it sometime when it comes to tone...;)

11. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Like said above, try the Big or Small blocks that Splawn has made for them or a Governer/Man O' War mix, which is what Scott seems to prefer in a 4x12. It might be worth a try in a 2x12.

12. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Nope they don't know better....I was told several times to go with the Emi Gov/MOW mix and I hate that combo with my Competition Rod.

13. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I much preferred my QR running thru a 4x12 with Greenbacks and G12H30's in a X-pattern. I am a V30 fan, but they sounded bad with the QR.

Stormin!

14. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Goofball, I find it odd that the H55/H75 mix has too much mids, as I would think the M75/H75 mix would do that more, since the M75 is a mid focused speaker.

Shoot me an email to discuss, if you like. Perhaps swapping your H55-8HP for another H75-8HP to add to your current one will have less emphasis in the mids from the 55 and 75 hz cone mix.

Of course, other factors such as EQ settings, guitar pickups, and fx/cables used can also alter the tone you're hearing. And then there's that other variable, which is your ears compared to others, which is really the final determining factor.

But if you think doing a swap might make this better, shoot me an email. I realize it's been 15 months since you ordered your speakers, but I'd like to help if I can. So shoot me an email if you want to discuss.

15. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Well, my point was that, in general, the guys on the Splawn forum will probably know better, considering that most of them own the amp. Here, you also get a lot of speculation from people who have never even played the thing.

16. gearboy

gearboy Member

QR + V30's = icepick in the head.

17. Goofball

Goofball Member