Need strat sized humbucker

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FiestaRed869, May 31, 2019.

1. rauchman

rauchman Member

I have the Golds in a Strat. They are very Strat'esque, but quiet. Not experience with the R/S/B, but I understand, especially the Red, is a hotter more chunky pup. Supposed to be a really good combo.

2. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Not a pickup, but I really like the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster pedal for use with single coils. Put the switch in position 2 and turn the Gain to about 1 o’clock and I feel that my Tele is very much in the humbucker arena.

Mincer likes this.
  3. TTHX

TTHX Member

I had a hot rails once and didn't like it at all. For my personal tastes I wanted it to be a bit more cutting and "edgier" high end. I understand that a lot of people do like the high end rounded and smooth. Just my personal experience with it, if you're looking for something real crunchy in the high end I'd suggest something else. I've been thinking of getting a Dimarzio Super D myself actually.

4. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

Think im gonna go with the hot rails, at this point I know all the contenders and just need to throw a dart. I’ll never know untill I buy one.

My only question is these are seriously hot. Like mentioned above I’m not metal or super high gain, Basket case from Green Day (maybe Van Halen) is as high gain as I’ll go. Can the hot rails do nice articulate leads as well? Want some umphh but also also nice clarity . I don’t mind a one trick pony as it’ll never do anything other then described above

5. G34RSLU7

G34RSLU7 Member

I think kurt cobain used hot rails, so it should work for green day stuff (and probably van halen too depending on your gear).

AFAIK Dave Murray from iron maiden uses hot rails bridge and neck in his strats and he does a lot of leads:

I haven't used the Hot rails in the bridge, but i've had a lil'59 in the bridge of 2 guitars and it does a nice lower output PAF-like tone so i guess you can't go wrong with either of them.

6. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

I’ll give them a go thanks, I’m a 90s guy and grew up with Nirvana, the pumpkins, bush etc. using hot rails so in my head that’s all I think of . I’m sure they’re fine for VH and articulate leads

Prob using a DSL100 or JCM900 through a 1960a

b80 and G34RSLU7 like this.
  7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

OK so what about the vintage bucker in the Z series? I'll be ordering a loaded pickguard in the next couple weeks and I wanted an HSS setup with a split option on the bridge. The juicy looks hotter than what I want and as you said the split was an after thought. The convertible is not HB voiced but splits well. Will the vintage bucker give me solid HB tones and credible bridge and bridge/middle single coil tone?

Zexcoil likes this.
  8. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

The Vintage Bucker doesn't split. It's designed as a PAF level output and if you quarter it, it gets pretty low. I guess maybe I should try it, because I didn't think the Juicy would work that well either, lol.

But anyway, the stock Vintage Bucker is a 2-wire connection, in fact all of the Z series are two wire. We have a Z Juicy that is basically just a potted Legacy Juicy with some slight differences - the pole pieces are a little shorter and they aren't plated - so the output is just slightly lower and it's a smidge more "transparent".

The Vintage Bucker does give pretty good bridge-middle tones, still pretty quacky albeit a little fatter, but it won't give you a real single coil option.

FiestaRed869 likes this.
  9. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

FWIW, a snippet of Interstate Love Song using a Virtual Solo starting at 3:01:

10. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Hot rails sound great and will cop those tones. They aren’t stupidly hot. And because they are single coil sized they have an inherently tighter sound than a full size humbucker with the same output.

If you’re a fan of the ‘90s the Hotrails should be great.

b80, shane8 and G34RSLU7 like this.