Need suggestion on Les Paul pickups for MY application

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lucky Dog Guitars, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I love the classic Les Paul sound for getting the sounds like Slash or John Sykes...

I would like to use my les paul more, but I play a lot of country & songs that need a more strat/tele sound.

I would like to hear your suggestions on coil-splitable pickups that will have the standard les paul sound.. but also get me in that modern country tele sound too...

Any ideas?

2. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I would call Wolfe over at Wolfetone pickups. He'll set you up.

Also, though I use split coil Wolfetone pickups currently, Jim over at WCR is also very accommodating and will set you up as well.

Sorry to not give more of an opinion.....I love the Wolfetone Dr. V's, but as I do not play much country, I have no idea if their split coil sound is what you're looking for or not. Wolfe will know. :)

3. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I basically need to get "close" to a solid-body telecaster sound out of a Les Paul.

If I can do that.. i can really make the most out of the Paul & use it more

4. ungarn

ungarn Member

Just use two geetars...LP and Tele...pickups won't do it alone...

5. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

I think you can get in the ballpark of what you're looking for, in the light of the guitarists you mention.

The "signature tones" of both Sykes and Slash come from pickups that are essentially low-output PAF style pickups. A good set won't sound quite like a tele when used clean, but it can perform the same musical functions with a similar dynamic response. If you use a moderate amount of dirt you can get into territory--like you hear on Jimmy Page recordings---where its tough to tell the difference between an LP and a Tele. Crank them and its pure scream. I'd take the high-gain tones that low-output PAF types can produce over the results you get with high output pickups specifically designed for high gain applications any day.

You might have better luck using the whole pickup for this approach. Split humbuckers rarely sound or feel "right" when you're going for an actual single-coil tone.

As for specific models I'd recommend, I am a big fan of Duncan Antiquity humbuckers. They don't get much love around here, but they sound magnificent in a Les Paul, and they feature Alnico II magnets which I tend to associate with the characteristic top end I hear all over GNR and early Van Halen records. Lollar Imperials are outstanding for a slightly smoother top end, and they're wax potted which keeps them from squealing but changes the attack a bit. I have a set of DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs on the way. I'm really curious how those sound; supposedly they're excellent.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i'll agree with that.

i'll agree with that too.

7. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

MrMunky.. thanks!

As far as using two guitars.. that wouldnt work for me.. because I often play songs that have clean & overdriven sounds... my whole point was I wanted to be able to have tele-like clean tones...and take advantage of the regular Les Paul sounds in the same song.. without having to switch guitars mid-song.

I'm going to take all of your comments on pickups to heart! Appreciate the feedback so far!

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

Well...then...I would agree with above... some medium to lower output PAF type humbuckers goosed with a boost or overdrive will get you Sykes and then with the pedal off you can turn down the volume pot on the guitar (gasp!) and get what you need. Split humbuckers sound like crap. Period. DiMarzio 36th anniversary, Duncan JB/59, Rio Grande Texas/BBQ, Sheptones, WCR anything, warrant taking a look at.

Rock on!

9. charmboy

charmboy Member

I'm using Duncan 59's in my SG. Nice PAF tones, decent coil split. Sure it doesn't sound like my tele, but if I need a touch of twang on the fly without swithing guitars they do plenty fine.

I wouldn't say they sound like crap though. In fact you can get some truly great tones in the middle position, blending one of the splits with the other pickup unsplit that you'd never get otherwise.

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member