1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions for PRS repalcement pickups!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Jul 7, 2006.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I have a 90's PRS standard 22. It plays great, but recently I have been thinking the pickups could really be improved upon. Does anyone have any recommendations. I was thinking of getting some Fralin humbuckers, but I also just thought about going with some Seymour Duncans. Would the SD's be a step up or do I really need to go with one of the more exspensive independent makers?

2. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I seem to recommend these for everything but, I had SD '59s in my PRS Singlecut and thought it was a big improvement.

3. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thanks! Would love to here some other ideas.

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I hated 59's in my CU22, you could get the Beno album, but that was it. I have a Jazz and JB in there now, but it might be a little bright. I'm thinking about changing the magnets from Alnico V's to II's.

5. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I don't think I want to shell out the bucks for the Fralins. WIll Sd's be an improvement. I'd love to hear some more opinons.

6. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

If you are going to keep the rotary switching and intend to use an off the shelf pickup you'll have to flip the magnets in one of the pups to maintain hum cancelling and phase in the in-between spots. One of the long time posters here (Jim Collins) has put up information on the process. You might want to try searching on "rotary" or something like that.

Fralin will put build the pups to work in a PRS rotary setup with no further modification. I have a plain-jane, ca '94, Std 22. These guitars are the sleepers in the PRS line. I put Fralins in it (the 5% underwound versions) and they work fine. I'm really more of a single coil player and the underwound versions work for me. I am sure you could get a perfectly good humbucker pup for a lot less. And Fralin isn't the darling of the boutique humbucker crowd. He makes good pups though.

Just remember the magnet fix.

hunter

7. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

i put wcr's in mine and couldn't be happier. at approx 300 bucks, its not cheap. any pickup, regaurdless of price, that you like MORE than is currently in there, is an improvement. i like the wcr's. they are worth the money to me. if you like the duncans, go for it. the duncans are a little easier. they are widely available used so you can always sell them and make your money back if they dont work for you.

8. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Cool! Mine is a 95' Standard 22. It feels great. The neck is awesome.

9. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey there sir! I have a PRS CE-24 that I put Manlius Custom-Wound pickups in (don't get scared because he hand-winds them, he doesn't charge an arm and a leg for them! :) ) and it sounds 1000x better than the stock HFS/Vintage Bass set that I started with. I had him wind them to WCR Fillmore spec with his own little twist on them and they turned out AMAZING! I love them, very clear and articulate but put some heavy OD or high gain on and BAM these things can get as crunchy or brutal as you want. Another thing I should mention is I also put an RS Guitarworks kit in there (went from a 5-way rotary to a 3-way switch + push-pull coil tap a'la the McCarty setup, kept the stock PRS volume pot however), made a huge difference over the original tone pot and capacitor. The Hovland caps let the guitar clean up nicely when you roll down the volume too. Talk to Mick @ Manlius pickups, he'll take care of you and he won't rob your wallet clean either! :dude Tell him what it's going into and what sounds/pickups you like and he'll wind it up for you. At 100 per CUSTOM set, you can't go wrong. I believe he still has the satisfaction guarantee too. I have one set in my PRS and another different set of his pickups going into my Thorn (a 3K guitar) if that vouches for anything. :BEER Best of luck with the search!

10. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I'm going with a Rio Grande setup in my CE-24 next week....5 way rotory switch to a 3 way toggle. I heard the same pups in an American Hammer w/mahog body, they sounded killer.

So if anyone wants my stock PRS pups, lemme know.

11. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i have some fillmores in my McCarty goldtop.....killer, totally worth the $$.....

ALL DAY.

12. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

In my experience, just about anything sounds better than PRS pickups. Anything you choose would be an improvement to my ears :)

Having offered up that priceless jewel of information, might I suggest Lindy Fralin humbuckers?

13. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Sounds cool and at a good prices! Why does everyone wnat to switch from the 5 way switch? Whats the benefit?