Need suggestions for smaller rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Matters, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Matters

Matters Member

Hi, my band recently started playing a monthly gig at a small high end deli. It's a small place and we aren't able to play very loud. My regular rig consists of a 1969 Super Reverb and a Marshall Jubilee 2555 through a Avatar 2x12 cab. This is extreme overkill for the situation and for a 2 hour gig more weight than I would like to carry around for amps that I can't turn up past "1". I would like to buy a lower wattage, smaller amp that can cover all the sounds I need (I know this may not be possible, but hopefully I can get close). We play covers by Neil Young, Gov't Mule, and SRV among others, so I need a versatile amp. I've been looking at the Budda SD 18, Eganter Rebel, or if a I can't find something close enough I may end up buying a Deluxe reverb and a Jubilee 1x12 Combo as a last resort. All suggestions are welcome, my only criteria being that I don't want to spend tons of money, which is why I'd rather avoid buying a Deluxe Reverb and another Jubilee. Thanks in advance.

2. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Deal with the head and 2x12 and get some pedals for better flexibility. If you go smaller, you know in six months you'll be playing bigger places and asking what you can do to expand your rig.

:)

3. Matters

Matters Member

I'll be keeping my other rig for the bigger gigs.

4. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Oh ... don't get a second Jubilee, that's just boring. Something on the Fender side would balance your tone.

5. Matters

Matters Member

That's what I was thinking. To maybe get a Deluxe Reverb to replace when I normally use my Fender Super Reverb. Also, I couldn't be happier with the sound I get with the Jubilee, so replacing it with anything but a smaller combo will be hard.

6. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Budda SD 18 is incredibly satisfying at almost any volume setting.

7. 5E3

5E3 Supporting Member

:agree

I put a volume pedal at the end of my effects chain, all of which is in the SD18's effects loop. I play it through a 1x12 with an Eminence Governor and can still get great tones when practicing quietly while others are around.

[​IMG]

8. Matters

Matters Member

Thanks, sweet looking rig 5E3!

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Blues Jr... or Vox AC15

10. The Kid

The Kid Member

Neil Young, Gov't Mule, and SRV tunes at a Deli? Sounds like a great place to me. Order me a sandwich, and I'll be there!

There's a lot of cool 15-20W heads out there. It all depends on your price range.

At the more affordable end of things, some people dig those Tiny Terror's, and there's some buzz about the new Vox Night Train.

You can get a Blues Jr, do a speaker swap and/or some mods to try to get what you need out of it and let pedals do the rest.

Hope this helps. Don't forget to order me that sandwich!

11. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Badger 18 should work fine or like others have said the the Budda SD18.

12. Zuper

Zuper Member

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have a cool small gig rig with a small footprint.

Clean amp is a Matchless Lightning Reverb 1x12 combo. Dirty amp is a Komet 19 head. I can bring a cab for the Komet (Hard Trucker 2x12) or I can run the Matchless and the Komet into the combo's 12" speaker using an Axcess Head Switcher. So the whole rig is small, but extremely versatile. I can also use certain effects separately for each amp. Works great and sounds killer.

14. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

fender hot rod deluxe, 40 watts very portable, great clean channel, takes pedals very well, good effects loop, great grab and go amp.

if you wanted to get the power down, JJs 6v6s will get it down to 20 watts, I have those in mine, a dummy plug in the extension speaker jack of the amp will get the transformer right, it needs to be 4 ohms for and 8 ohm speaker, and that is done when a jack is plugged into the extension jack. I have done this to mine and its killer, I checked the bias to make sure the factory bias was right and it was dead on.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  15. StratsRule07

StratsRule07 Member

If you're wanting less to carry around and like the sound of the Rebel, just wait until the combo comes out. Shouldn't be too much longer. Tiny Terror combos are also cool.

I've never heard one of those Budda heads put out a bad tone, but I can't afford one while I'm still in school. If you want to run a head/cab setup, that Budda and a 1x12 would be killer. I've heard a lot of good things about Dr. Z's low watt stuff, unfortunately I have never gotten to play through one. Worth a try, though!

Not sure if I would rather have your Jubilee or a deli like that around here!

16. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I have a nutty idea.

Digitech rp1000 + Tech 21 Power Engine 60 (one or two would be killer).

or

Digitech GSP1101 + Midi Controller + Tech 21 Power Engine 60

or

Tech 21 Character Series Pedals, Liverpool, Blonde, and Brittish + Tech 21 Power Engine 60.

Those are some versatile, lightweight, and modular rigs.

dk

17. madryan

madryan Member

Score the new dual channel Orange Tiny Terror.

18. beatlebob

beatlebob Active Member

get a little fender princeton and try some of the much raved about overdrive pedals and find one (or a couple) that work for ur style.

19. ned911

ned911 Member

Either throw some dirt boxes in front of your Super Reverb or if you need an excuse for something new I would go Egnater Rebel 20 with the 1x12.

20. Matters

Matters Member

Wow! thanks for all the great responses. Looks like the Budda is really popular. The Egnater Rebel combo and the Tiny Terror look very interesting, especially for the price. Time to start finding sound clips. Thanks again.