Need suggestions for the best "MINI" Amp

iamdabe

Hello everybody,

I find it really difficult to lug around my gigantic amp to my room. I was wondering if you guys could help me out by suggesting any great mini amps that you know.

By mini, I'm talking really small. Maybe the size of a standard shoe box. This might be a crazy question but if you have suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

I'm looking for the best quality for the cheapest price.

harpinon

If that size is to include a speaker-forget about "good"
If the amp can be that size, the Orange Micro Terror is quite a nice sounding amp.
Headphone jacks as well.

Flogger59

Inhave a Mesa TA15. If you want something that size with speakers, then look at a Yamaha THR10.

guitarman3001

Hello everybody,

I find it really difficult to lug around my gigantic amp to my room. I was wondering if you guys could help me out by suggesting any great mini amps that you know.

By mini, I'm talking really small. Maybe the size of a standard shoe box. This might be a crazy question but if you have suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

I'm looking for the best quality for the cheapest price.
For home use or for gigs?

guitarman3001

Yamaha THR10.

Blackstar HT5R or HT1R combo. (R is the reverb model. For me, reverb is a must especially for home use)

Fender SCXD.

Out of those, the THR10 is the smallest. Actually smaller than a shoebox. It's also the most versatile and has a wide range of tones. The SCXD is also very versatile but it's a bit bigger and weighs about 20 or 25 pounds or so.

The Blackstar is the least versatile but sounds great and weighs in at about 15 pounds.

I have all three of those and find myself using the THR most often at home. It sits perfectly on my computer desk and sounds the best out of all of them at low volumes. That would be my first pick.

briwinters

Roland Micro Cube GX. Super small, can run on batteries for 20 hours, great sounding for a home practice amp. The Yamaha THR10 gets a lot of mention in here also but is a bit more $$.

If just looking for a lunchbox head the Mesa TA-15 is pretty outstanding....totally gigable too. 13 punds and comes with a shoulder bag. May be the smartest amp purchase I ever made.

eric_kv2

I really like my Baron Snott Watt for home use. The clean is not so bad for a high gain 5-7 watt amp and the distortion is nice. It takes pedals ok too especially boosts. Handwired turret board construction and made in the USA. You can find them rather cheap on eBay otherwise you will have about a 6 month wait.

HawkeyeKane

If you want a modeler like many of the amps mentioned so far, then my vote would be with either the Roland Micro Cube or the Yamaha THR5 or THR 10.

But if modeling technology isn't something you're after, I would suggest the old reliable Pignose 7-100 suitcase amp, or possibly one of its competitors from Luna which have tone controls as an added feature.

If you wanna go even smaller, Danelectro makes some good little battery powered mini amps like the Honeytone and the Hodad. They run a lot less than the Fender mini-Twins.

Palladio

If you want an amp head, the Mesa TA-15 gets my vote as well.
Sounds great at home, and switched to higher power settings has enough clean headroom for smaller club gigs. Pair that with a 1x12 cab and you're good to go for just about anything. It's the most versatile small amp I've ever used. It can do Vox and Marshall to Mesa type stuff well enough.

If you need a combo with a speaker the size of a shoe box that sounds truly good, I'm not sure that exists. The best thing I know of in that vein is a Yamaha THR 10. It's pretty good for what it is, but is not going to touch any decent 1x10 combo.

I'd probably buy a Blackstar 5 watt over the Yamaha though. It's light/small enough for home use and is going to sound far better IMO.

Maybe more than you want to spend, but the best sounding small combo amp I've ever used is the Carr Raleigh. It's like a good Fender Princeton in a smaller package.

Last edited:

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
A mesa Mini Rectifier or TA-15 would be my vote [I played both - they both are fantastic. I liked the mini recto better personally, but they are both great].

Trending Topics