Need Suggestions on 15-45 amp

hazardary

Hi,
I had a blackstar ht5r combo and a Gibson Les paul Classic and I really love my blackstar. Now I am in a band and the 5w amp probably is not loud enough for gig. I am thinking getting a new 15-45w amp about $1000-$1500 new so I can get a used one for about $600-$900. Upon searches on the internet, several amps comes up,
used budda superdrive 18/30/45
mesa boogie mark V:25
marshall jvm 210

I have tried suhr badger and it just not distortion enough for me (no pedal). I appreciate if anyone can bring any other recommendations. I play mostly classic rock, blues, and cover some FF songs.

IndyMead

I've never played option 2 & 3 but I can all but guarantee won't be disappointed with a Budda. I have an SD18 combo and its pretty much perfect for my needs. Awesome slight breakup sounds on the clean channel and huge amounts of gain available on the lead channel. It just rocks. The 18w version is seriously loud too...the only reason I can see to get the 30 or 45 that I can see is if you need more headroom. And as you mentioned, there are some great deals available used. The Mesa Mark V has always looked awesome to me as well but I've never been around one to try. Good luck!

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I gig with a Budda SuperDrive 18 and it's more than loud enough.

You may also want to look at the Marshall DSL40 Combo?

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Used Mesa Mark V! You can adjust the wattage and it has a awesome master volume.

onetracker

orange rocker 30 head - IF you can find one.
there are NONE on ebay right now.

killer classic rock tone. made in England. I've seen them as low as $700 used but and they're worth much more and will hold its value as its been discontinued. the clips on the web do very little justice to what this amp can do.

this one is a fair example, imho:

good luck in your tone quest

hazardary

Thanks everyone for opinions.
I've never played option 2 & 3 but I can all but guarantee won't be disappointed with a Budda. I have an SD18 combo and its pretty much perfect for my needs. Awesome slight breakup sounds on the clean channel and huge amounts of gain available on the lead channel. It just rocks. The 18w version is seriously loud too...the only reason I can see to get the 30 or 45 that I can see is if you need more headroom. And as you mentioned, there are some great deals available used. The Mesa Mark V has always looked awesome to me as well but I've never been around one to try. Good luck!
I've searched online and find that most feedback for budda superdrive are positive. However, it is not easy to find a used one in local store, and I really want to try it first.

Exactly what I was thinking....HT40 or head version HT50 and even the HT60 pair are within you budget new.
That is also one of the options. I just want more options and suggestions and I can try them all before I buy anything.

rummy

Supporting Member
Another vote for a used Budda. They sound great, and are loud enough.

illini

I like the Budda's, but get a little bored with the overdrive after awhile. At first I like how smooth and creamy they can be, but then later hate how smooth and creamy they are. I picked up a used Blackstar Series One for $600. One of the best purchases I have made in years. Pretty much the opposite of the Budda. The Blackstar's overdrive has some teeth to it. But it works great with overdrive pedals when I want to go that route.

Trending Topics