Need suggestions on a rig for fly-dates

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kyle Ashley, May 15, 2008.

1. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I just got a bunch of fly dates booked this summer. I'll need some suggestions on something I can throw in my suitcase and plug into whatever backline I end up with. Usually fx loop ins on Marshalls and Fenders.

I've got a Tonelab LE...it fits the bill for features, but lacks in sound. I can get by with it as a last resort, but would like to try some new ideas.

Line6 POD X3Live is the same type of thing...this is an option, but I don't expect it to be much better than the TL.

A small pedal board with a few of those new Tech21 character pedals..one british, one california, one blonde....plus a tuner and chorus is an option.

3 or 4 boutique pedals?? I have some fulltone, crowther, and teese stuff on my main board, but there are so many things I don't know about these days. I'll need clean, crunch, and lead tones.

Axe-FX is out for now. I don't have time to get one and get it ready.

So I'm open to any suggestions ya'll can throw my way. Thanks!!

2. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I travel and do fly dates regularly - usuually get stuck with a fender twin reverb ( the most common backline amp of all time )....

Set the amp for a full clean tone. Keep in mind at most fly dates with backlines you'll need to keep the stage volume very low. Bring a rythmn OD that gets anything from a clean with a bit of hair on it to a decent crunch. Hopfully one with good EQ. I have used both a ANALOGMAN king of tone and a fullulldrive with good success. Also bring a lead pedal ( unless your using the KOT or fulldrive which will give you rythmn and lead from the same pedal )......my od of choice right now is a COT50 gold into an Eternity. Seems to work with any amp and i can get all shades of clean, light od - crunch -heavey od and great lead tones with just these pedals.

Would also suggest a compressor ( helps if your stuck with a thin sounding limp amp ) a chorus, phaser and a delay. And perhaps a clean boost to step out of the mix for certain parts ( so you control your own sound )......

I find having a volume pedal very important at these kinds of gigs as well.......If they keep telling you to turn down....use the volume pedal....then you can raise it and lower your volume as needed over the course of the night........works easier than a volume knob on the guitar for this purpose ( and doesn't mess with you gain structure if you put the volume pedal post OD/DIST. )......

Good luck.

3. jdavyd

jdavyd Member

i'll throw a vote in for Tech 21. i had a lot of success in the past with a triAC and gt2 into clean amps or FX loop ins, and i imagine the new character series will only be more functional in that regard.

4. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

How about a small amp head, and a couple of decent pedals? Then you'll just need to bring a speaker cable extension cord (you can have one made) so you could even use a backline combo's speakers if you need to. A small plexi head will be about 20" long by 8" deep and 8" high. For example, the marshall 2061X and Badger 18 - both of which are lightweight too.

I'd be thinking real hard about a great sounding portable amp solution like that, along with some decent pedals like what were recommended (good OD, dist, boost, modulation, & delay), that are in double pedal formats - for example, the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde along with Visual Sound H20 would give you OD, Dist, Chorus, & Echo, in any easy to manage 2 pedal format. Obviously for a bigger luggage format, a prewired pedal board with top-shelf units couldn't be beat (but a pricey loss with the airlines too - way more $$$ than a small amp and the visual sound stuff).

5. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Could you get by with a single OD pedal that has two channels? One for crunch, one for lead? Maybe the Fulltone GT500, Symour Duncan Twin tube classic, Jekyll & Hyde or any of the others? I'd also suggest an EQ to make up for different amps.

6. Kyle Ashley

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've just heard about this TC Nova system, which I'm looking at at well. Luckily for me, all the fly dates I do usually call for loud volumes, so I can actually have some fun.

7. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

i would stick to a small board, with

a compresser (boss, mxr, done to death b4)
    a two channel overdrive (like ac plus, fulldrive, gt-500)
    a tremolo or volume pedal (Boss Fv500H is a great choice)
    a DD-7 (delay)

i like my pedals over multis

AJ

8. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I usually fly with a Pod set clean and run my pedal board into it. Works great into monitors or into effects returns on amps.

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

My small rig is a Monte Allums modded Boss CS-3 (for transparent type compression), Digitech Bad Monkey, early 90s Rat 2, and a lead boost (in my case, a Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso).

10. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I've been using a ZV Box of Rock & a Boss ME-20

11. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Perfect rig you've set up. I would make the volume pedal a definite and add modulation ( chorus or phase - my preference would be a phase 90 )...and I'd probably make the delay a programmable one ( with a few presets - slapback , long ambient echo , long delay for certain leads, ).....

right there is all you need ( and about all I bring ).....I usually bring a wah as well.......not needed, but just for fun if we hit some disco/funk tunes or something

12. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

For flyouts i prefer a small pedalboard. Any amp can sound OK if you have the right boxes.

13. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

i should add something: AN EQ box like the boss Eq7 its really really good, and has helped me to get a better tone. i just take it on gigs where i dont know which amp i will get given and i haven't found an amp it doesn't like.

AJ

14. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Small Board:

RC Booster, Full-Drive 2 (or other nice medium grit OD pedal), TR-2, RV-5, DD-7 w/tap tempo

Choose your top three modulation/delay type effects to put after the first two.

Highly recommended.

15. starfly59

starfly59 Member

Just did some gigs in Europe with these pedals on a Pedaltrain 2 HC with a OneSpot power supply:

Boss Tuner
    Volume Pedal
    Keeley Compressor
    Fulltone Fulldrive
    Zvex Box Of Rock
    Boss DD20
    Boss Reverb

No need for modulation fx. Reverb has modulated 'verb, plus DD20 has modulated delays of course. Coupled with utilizing my Strat's tremolo arm, I had all the modulation texture I needed for the gigs. I got a Marshall TSL2000 as backline - surprised at how good a tone I got from it!

16. danel59

danel59 Member

One of the reasons I bought my Ethos for was for this reason. I am doing a few fly to gigs this summer. I plan on using that with a TU2 tuner, DD20 Digital Delay and an RC Booster. Perhaps I may add the Liverpool Character Pedal as well. But all that fits real easy on a Pedaltrain Jr and can work either direct to PA or into the front end or efx return of backline amps. Gives me a clean channel, OD and OD/Boost not to mention the clean boost from the RC and then add a Vox like tone with the Character pedal and it covers most of my needs

Dan

17. Kyle Ashley

what is an ethos?