Need suggestions on analog delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by m75bluesbird, Jun 24, 2008.

1. m75bluesbird

m75bluesbird Member

Could I have some ideas about what are the best analog delay pedals? I'm talking about stomp boxes, not rack units. Thanks!

2. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Analog man XL and the Carbon Copy are the two best available. I own both.

Boss dd7 has a nice analog mode ( a little clearer sounding than real analog, but very, VERY, close ! ).

3. waters

waters Member

The Retro-Sonic analog delay is also one of the "best" available. I am just confused about how some seem to think there are only two "best" available pedals? New or used, many analog pedals are still available. The two suggested above are very nice pedals though.

4. Wooley

Wooley Member

If money is no object, then I gotta tell you to get the Analogman Triple-modded Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man. You will probably NEVER buy another delay.
    If money is an object, then I think you should either go with the Analogman AR20DL or an Analogman-modded Boss DD-3.
    No, I'm not an Analogman employee, I'm just completely sold that these three cover everything I could ever need in delay. Honestly, the modded DD3 is probably all a GIGGING musician is ever gonna need.

5. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

I have to throw the MP Deep Blue Delay into the mix. Check out the Proguitarshop demo on youtube.

6. Andre357

Andre357 Member

What are the three mods and how is it better than a stock one ?? you have me very interested :)

7. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Not a cheap one, but the Diamond Memory Lane 2 deserves being mentioned/considered here.

8. Andre357

Andre357 Member

+1....probably my next delay ( I'm a delay freak )

9. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

for me there's just two words. carbon copy. down side, get in line with everyone else and hope MXR can keep pumping these things out to meet demand.

10. pbone

pbone Member

The best delay (although no modulation) is the moog mf-104z. There is no competition. Not the EHX, not the Diamond, not any Boss.

11. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

Going on the analogman thread, i'm in love with my DD5, and it is just amazing live. everything from the low analog sounds to the crazy reverse/kill options. it is freakin' verstile as all anything.

12. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

i love my memory lane. also just got the malekko e600b...very cool analog delay!

13. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Memory Lane 2 has my vote ;)

14. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Moog MF104-Z
    Maxon AD999
    Ibanez AD-9 Stock or keeley moded
    +1 on the Memory lane 2- thats a qualatay piece of deeeelay :D
    +1 on the Malekko too - the Bright version rocks!

15. m75bluesbird

m75bluesbird Member

Greetings from a fellow Dharma Bum

16. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

Maxon AD999
    MXR Carbon copy

Check proguitarshop.com demos on youtube. Those guys offer a variety of very cool pedal video demos, so you can decide yourself.

17. Wooley

Wooley Member

From the Analogman website:

Delay time slight tweek
    The DMM does not usually come with the delay time as long as it should be. We can tweek the deluxe memory man to about 500mS or more if you need just a bit more than the stock one has (our delay time slight tweek).

Input Impedance increase tweek
    The DMM, when on, has a slightly dull tone even on the dry sound due to a low input impedance (like putting a volume pot on your guitar that is too low of a value). We also can tweek the input impedance for a clearer tone. This mod helps both the WET and DRY tone when the pedal is ON. Makes no difference when off (true bypass). It is a trimpot so you can adjust it if needed. If you run your guitar directly into the DMM you can really hear the dullness, set the mix knob to full dry (no delay) and turn the pedal on and off to hear the change in dry tone. If you have buffers or other pedals turned on before the DMM, the low impedance of the DMM may not be hurting your tone much.

Gain reduction tweek
    We can reduce the gain for less distortion on the DMM if you are having overloading problems due to hitting it with a hot signal. This is also a trimpot, if you turn it down too much you may lose the ability to self-oscillate. But at our marked setting the gain is reduced enough to sound good and still allows self-ocsillating repeats. It is $40 for any combination of these three tweeks on a new or used DMM.

I think it's funny how he spells "tweak" "tweek".

18. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

If good tone, reliability, solid construction, and simplicity of operation are criteria the Boss DM-2 and Retro-Sonic's update of that pedal are excellent choices. The Carbon Copy didn't compare during my trial of it.

19. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

I'm a huge fan of the Malekko delays. I prefer the dark, but they both smoke any other analog delay i've heard - little-to-zero noise or funky artifacts on the repeats, switchable TB/buffered, stereo outs, awesome customer service... definitely worth checking out.

20. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

+1 for Memory Lane. I'd have a hard time playing live w/o tap tempo as I do a lot of tempo based delay. Is there a secret art to twisting a tempo knob to be perfectly in time? I usually get 4 clicks from the drummer and since it takes two clicks just to get a tempo that leaves 2 clicks before I'm hitting the first note. How do you guys do it?!