need suggestions :( Wolfgang Special going back

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by prkaye, Feb 15, 2012.

1. prkaye

prkaye Member

I just can't get the new Wolfgang Special to stay in tune, and i'm sick of fighting with it. So I've emailed my Sweetwater sales engineer, and it's going back as soon as I can arrange it. I was also disappointed that it came set-up horribly from sweetwater (crooked bolt-on neck, seriously tilted bridge).

Now I need to decide what to do. I'm regretting selling my PRS CE-24. If I do an exchange with Sweetwater, it will be simpler (I live in Canada and paid the taxes to FedEx, so I'd have to figure out how to get that back). But I'd have to decide whether to try another Wolfgang Special, or just abandon my Floyd Rose dreams and go with something with a hard-tail that I can be confident will stay in tune and I won't have to fight with. Perhaps it's really not so important to be able to do dive bombs.

Can you guys help me with some recommendations for a good guitar in the $1500 - $2000 range? My main requirements are - it HAS to stay in tune, period. I need to be able to go down to dropped-D without having to retune the whole bloody guitar (so if I get somethign with a Floyd and locking nute, i'll have to get a D-Tuna). I figure a hard-tail would be the most stable of all? What about those Gibson Les Paul Studio guitars? Any good? Any other suggestions?

2. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

That stinks, sorry to hear!! The folks here are the best around and will surely make some solid recommendations.

3. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

for staying in tune I think a thru neck Jackson may be the way, but I don't know about floyds or d-tuna, unless you get a decent warranty.
    I liked my 87 Jackson a lot and it had the licensed FR, but no d-tuna.

If you can find an old 80's Kramer, that may be worth your time to Modify, they had original FR's, and sold well back in the day(so they might be cheap to find). My rhythm guitarist had one and it felt just fine to me.

my strat has a nice sound, and solid, but those tremolos are not for shredder/metal types

4. prkaye

prkaye Member

5. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

A properly set-up Wolfgang should stay in tune fine. Do a string change first. The next step would be to either have a tech give it a look or ship it back.

6. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

Sweetwater has the best customer service on the planet. Call and talk to your salesperson. They will either find out why your guitar is going out of tune and fix it, or they will hand pick you one that will.

7. jbraun002

jbraun002 Member

I'd hesitate to blame the trem or give up on a Floyd. I had one once and it never had tuning problems. Sounds more like a lemon guitar than anything else.

8. prkaye

prkaye Member

at this point I'm really not sure I want another wolfgang. I subscribe to the belief that if something can go wrong, it very often will. This was my first guitar with a Floyd Rose, and I had no idea how finicky they are. After all my reading on various forums, I now see that this is the case. Lots of guys have no troubles with them, but many do. My experience has been so frustrating, that I think I'd rather just do without dive bombs and play something simpler and more solid.
    Here's my dream guitar:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/custom/s178245/

Unfortunately $3000 seems excessive to me for a guitar for a bedroom player, so I'm thinking this might be a reasonable compromise. It's the same price as my wolfgang, so hopfully Sweetwater will let me do this as basically a straight exchange:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPSTWRCH/

What do you guys think of that Gibson? Good instrument? I've never played a Les Paul, but some of my guitar heros were Les Paul guys.

9. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

Ernie Ball Music Man Axis. The Floyd is set to dive only, and you'll save yourself about $1000 on one hell of a guitar.

10. fast98dodge

fast98dodge Member

Find a nice used Peavey Wolfgang... About the same money for lots of guitar and actually built in the US...

11. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I agree with the last two posts above. Go get a nice EBMM Axis Tribute for $1,950- the quality is off the charts. Or a mint original Peavey Wolfgang Standard off the Bay in the mis teens-killer ax. Both are better guitars than the one you had and both only dive. If worse comes to worse you do not take a beating either way.

12. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

The Ernie Ball's I had were better than any other guitar company he went to after that. They are great guitars.

13. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

This, I had one (Am. Carved top Standard) on the emporium for about a month, and only got a couple of nibbles. I decided to keep it because it plays so freaking good, and it stays in tune to boot.

14. paulscape

paulscape Member

My Gibson Historic R7 stays in tune perfectly, same with most of my strats. The historics are great and worth the extra coin. How you stretch in the strings and wind them on really helps both with non locking and locking guitars. I widened the nut slots on my favourite strat too which helps.

It's funny I used to always use floyds, expecially live, for tuning stability and then suddenly went off them and now I also find them a complete hassle. I play pretty hard, change strings before every gig and we almost always do 3 x 45 sets using my favourite strat or Les Paul and its very rare I have to tune it during a show. I also don't miss the whammy bar much - I have it on the strat but with Les Pauls I have found myself experimenting with different techniques for acheiving similar moves.

I really wanted to buy your wolfgang guitar Bikerdude but I decided to make myself another superstrat with a new body and other parts I had lying around. I must have come back to your ad at least 20 times! They look great in black and I much prefer the peavey headstock to the fender wolfs.

15. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

If you like the way the Wolfgang feels, just get the hardtail version. Honestly, you got a rare dud.. and if you put up a complaint, Sweetwater ought to go the extra mile to triple-check the guitar they send you back. You can check out the Musicman Axis Super Sport as well..

16. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Several great comments I agree with:

Sweetwater is great to deal with, I'm sure they will work out an equitable solution for you.

If you want the guitar that you have, get another one sent. Also when you get it, have a pro give it a check-up if there are any tuning issues. I had a brand new Carvin that would just not return to tune. A pro looked it over, shimmed the nut a tad and put on some nut sauce. I haven't had a problem since (4years)

If you want a FR, work it out. You will never be satisfied until you get dive bombing out of your system. A good one is REALLY fun and worth a little extra effort. String changes are not much more difficult at all, watch a few vids on YT.

My Carvin works fantastic. I bought an Axis off the forums here and it too is just great but it is not a full floating model, you can just push down.

I've had other guitars with cheaper FRs ..... not near as dependable.

My advice is do an exchange with Sweetwater for the same guitar and be patient.

If still having problems get an Axis or Peavey Wolfgang used and get it setup to your liking.

Don't give up on a FR until you get a chance to play one for awhile, a good one is just too much fun.