• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need thoughts on a 50/100 watt purchase please.

Which one would you choose?

• Best all around

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • most headroom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Plus

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Marshall JVM 210H

• Marshall JCM 800 2205 50 Watt 1982

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Marshall JCM 900 MkIII Hi Gain Master Volume

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Marshall JCM2000 DSL100H Modified w/ Joey Mods and choke

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • MetroAmp 2203 JCM800 Clone

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • DGN JTM45 Clone

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Koch MULTITONE 50W HEAD 6V6 POWER TUBE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reverend Paul

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and this is my very first post. I'm buying a "new" used 50/100 watt amp within the next couple weeks and need some help because I don't have the luxury of trying any of them out.
To give you an idea of styles of music I play and record would be Soundgarden, Black Keys, Led Zep, and QOTSA (blues to stoner/doom). I will also be using this amp with a pedal setup that includes a EQD Dunes, KHKD no.1 and SMM w/Haz and a Black Arts Pharoah. So it needs to be pedal friendly. As you can see I'm all over the map here but I want to keep my options open.
So with that said here are my choices and feel free to chime in and give me your thoughts. I'd appreciate it if only people that have played or owned these style of amps gave me an opinion. I will be checking this thread daily for the next 14 days as well.
Thanks folks this will be priceless information and maybe even save me a lot of frustration.
**Please ignore the first 2 poll choices I can't edit them for some reason,Thanks**

Mesa Boogie F-100
https://reverb.com/item/3611367-mesa-boogie-f-100-guitar-tube-amp-head-mint-used-amp-for-sale
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce Stage One 2004
https://reverb.com/item/3860541-mesa-boogie-stiletto-deuce-stage-one-2004-black-chrome
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 Plus Head 2015
https://reverb.com/item/3585684-mesa-boogie-express-5-50-plus-head-2015-black
Marshall JVM 210H 2014
https://reverb.com/item/3869013-marshall-jvm-210h-2014-black-gold
Marshall JCM 800 2205 50 Watt 1982
https://reverb.com/item/3395662-marshall-jcm-800-2205-50-watt-1982
MetroAmp 2203 JCM800 Clone
https://reverb.com/item/3207360-metroamp-2203-jcm800-clone
Marshall JCM 900 MkIII Hi Gain Master Volume
https://reverb.com/item/3644058-marshall-jcm-900-mkiii-hi-gain-master-volume-black-gold
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100H Modified w/ Joey Mods, Foot Switchable 3-Channel & Classic Tone Choke
https://reverb.com/item/3466379-mar...-foot-switchable-3-channel-classic-tone-choke
DGN JTM45 Clone
https://reverb.com/item/3017177-dgn-jtm45-clone
Koch MULTITONE 50W
https://reverb.com/item/3778696-koc...v6-power-tube-configureation-hunter-green-blk
Hovercraft Falcon 50 Green
https://reverb.com/item/3385668-hovercraft-falcon-50-green

Last edited:

MmcGrouty

The Mesa F-series have very good clean channels and sound great with pedals. You won't run out of clean headroom. The gain channel is ok, nothing special. They also have spring reverb. You could do worse, they're a good bargain.

Hefalump

I would look for an UNMODIFIED 2001 or newer JCM 2000 DSL 100. Another good amp is the Marshall Vintage Modern.

^^ These are excellent amps that people almost give away.

If you MUST stick to your list: the JCM 800 would be cool (definitely would try to get clean bill of health from a Tech before purchase).

csand

DSL 100H for sure. 50H if you can find one (easier to get the power stage to drive :D)

Most versatile amp on that list. In fact it will cover every amp on that list and then some. With sparkly cleans as well. Will also cost you a lot less. Value! Do it!

DSL 100H for sure. 50H if you can find one (easier to get the power stage to drive :D)

Most versatile amp on that list. In fact it will cover every amp on that list and then some. With sparkly cleans as well. Will also cost you a lot less. Value! Do it!
No such thing as a "DSL 50H".

The original JCM 2000's that were made in England from the late 1990's to around 2009 or so came in a head version as a DSL 100 or a DSL 50.

The new production DSL line that is manufactured in Vietnam dropped the JCM 2000 moniker and comes ONLY as a DSL 100H. There is no 50 watt version of the newer DSL. However, the DSL 100H does have built in pentode to triode switching on the power tubes which effectively lowers its output to be "similar" to a 50 watt version, but introduces other characteristics too, like more compression and a bit of a tonal shift.

Cheers
TRJB

csand

The original JCM 2000's that were made in England from the late 1990's to around 2009 or so came in a head version as a DSL 100 or a DSL 50.

The new production DSL line that is manufactured in Vietnam dropped the JCM 2000 moniker and comes ONLY as a DSL 100H. There is no 50 watt version of the newer DSL. However, the DSL 100H does have built in pentode to triode switching on the power tubes which effectively lowers its output to be "similar" to a 50 watt version, but introduces other characteristics too, like more compression and a bit of a tonal shift.

Cheers
TRJB
You are correct, my mistake. I meant JCM 2000 DSL 50. I always forget they reissued them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also...

I would personally NOT buy that "Joey Mods" DSL, without documentation on who did the mods, their credentials and pictures of the inside to verify each and every detail. The "Joey Mods" thread over at the Marshall Amps forum that the Reverb ad references is a dumping ground of a bunch of "expert's" opinions on what constitute "great" mods for this already great amp (that never needed to be modded in the first place, just played loud).

If this was modded by the previous owner themselves following some of the advice on the Joey Mods thread, it could be a rat's nest of messy trial and error, burnt circuit board traces, piggy backed components, etc, that could have potentially ruined or at the least negatively impacted the amp. Certainly the stickers with handwriting on them don't lend much confidence in my opinion...

Just my $0.02

Cheers
TRJB

csand

Also...

I would personally NOT buy that "Joey Mods" DSL, without documentation on who did the mods, their credentials and pictures of the inside to verify each and every detail. The "Joey Mods" thread over at the Marshall Amps forum that the Reverb ad references is a dumping ground of a bunch of "expert's" opinions on what constitute "great" mods for this already great amp (that never needed to be modded in the first place, just played loud).

If this was modded by the previous owner themselves following some of the advice on the Joey Mods thread, it could be a rat's nest of messy trial and error, burnt circuit board traces, piggy backed components, etc, that could have potentially ruined or at the least negatively impacted the amp. Certainly the stickers with handwriting on them don't lend much confidence in my opinion...

Just my $0.02

Cheers
TRJB

Great point.

Honestly... buying a tube amp online you are asking for trouble IMO. I'd look around for DSL 50 or 100 in the local shops, craigslist, etc. Then you can take a look at it up close.

IMO the price on that one on Reverb is ludicrous. Would pay half that, maybe. Considering it has mods.... definitely no more than half that. IMO of course. I got my DSL 50, and had it modded by a good local tech, for less than half the price of that one. That guy is dreaming a bit asking over a grand for it.

Last edited:

Geeze

To give you an idea of styles of music I play and record would be Soundgarden, Black Keys, Led Zep, and QOTSA (blues to stoner/doom).
If you have an amp now I would recommend NOT taking a shot in the dark on an amp you haven't played. Unless you like gambling. I've bought a number of amps unheard but I was buying the amps that the guys I wanted to emulate were playing. More like informed gambling. Any used amp may need some love and care from a tech so don't whine if it happens. Out of the last four I bought only one needed caps and such. Also don't be surprised if you spent time with an amp and find later that your tastes and needs are refined.

Amps on your list that I have spend a decent amount of time with are the JCM900 and the 2203. Like them for blues to modern rock.

Russ

BADHAK

If you insist on using pedals then why not just get a clean pedal platform. Uber gainy feature laden channel switchers would be the last thing I would look at if I were a pedal guy.

Reverend Paul

If you insist on using pedals then why not just get a clean pedal platform. Uber gainy feature laden channel switchers would be the last thing I would look at if I were a pedal guy.
Yep you are right on the money. My dad just talked me into the Bogner Barcelona. I'm a little worried about 40 watts being loud enough but I suppose if the day comes I could always sell it and make my money back at least.

deathrider817

Cheers
TRJB
I am glad to know that..Thanks!

I find your lack of Peavey VTM disturbing. Seriously, though, for that budget my top three would be:
#3 - Marshall JCM 800 or JCM900 SL-X (EL34 version). The latter usually goes for less and to my ears, is a great revision of a classic.
#2 - Peavey VTM. Perfectly versatile, and IMO much nicer than a 5150. I miss mine a lot.
#1 - Hovercraft Falcon. It's full of eels. I've got 3 Hovercrafts in my arsenal: one high-gain Dwarvenaut, one nasty vintage-voiced Dwarvenaut, and one ungodly loud Andromeda. 2 channels, assignable (very lush) reverb, all the depth and bark you can wish for. Chimey cleans and dirty Low end that can destroy solar systems.

Reverend Paul

Well I went the whole other end of the spectrum. I ended up with a Mesa Lonestar. I'm using pedals and it an amazing amp for this. I just bought a new set of 6L6's because it had El34's and those really are not good for this amp imho.

jpage

Also...

Just my $0.02

Cheers
TRJB
Amen to all the above. I just sold my Joey modded Marshall for less than that and I saw Joey himself do the mods. That guy definitely knows how to get the most out of a DSL tho

Trending Topics

Top Bottom