Need to buy a new lawn mower. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by JiveJust, Jun 15, 2019.

1. guitz

guitz Member

No qualms with my Craftsmen

2. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Actually, I've already been thinking that my next mower purchase will probably be a robot if they continue to improve. That would be ideal to just let it do it's thing, and only have to deal with some minor cutting around obstacles and edging.

3. Better Late

Better Late Member

Gas, Honda motor. Truth be told only a few independent manufactures left. Most power equipment is made by MTD. Snapper is one, John Deere's better (read mid level and up) products also. Had a Troy Bilt (MTD) push mower with a Honda motor, Yearly oil change, spark plug and air filter. Fifth year replaced the carb to. I bought a used JD riding mower the next year and have the TB to my BIL, he used it 3 more years.

I'd suggest you stay away from Toro, I have a zero turn mower, HAD the Toro brand 16hp motor. Used synthetic oil from the first oil change forward, used fresh oil filters every change. Third year owning it started blowing blue smoke and using more oil than gas, $200 + to replace valves and everything related. When I picked it up the tech told me it's only a matter of time, crank bearings were shot to.
    No help from Toro warranty, not even an offer of selling me a replacement engine at a discount, motor was $1100.

Some internet research later, I found for the most part the mounting and wiring on small engines are pretty much standardized. Bought a B&S 19hp for $650-tax included, one long day in the garage and I changed it. Would have been faster and easier if I had a helper.

I also have a Toro 26" snow blower, had to replace the carburetor after the second season. I used the ethanol fuel additive and run my equipment dry at the end of the season.

So based on my experience with those 2 issues, I will not be buying anything from Toro in the future.

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Very impressed to hear someone got 12 years from a Cub Cadet. Had one, a little more recent, and I didn't get 3 full years out of it and I didn't even hit anything with it. It is just composed of the cheapest import pieces parts you can imagine - in my experience. It just broke into small pieces.

The further south you go into the lush American South, the more gangster the grass is. And the thing is, stuff can be concealed in the grass and unless you cut every 3-4 days, you might miss that hunk of steel or concrete. Anyway, that's what has killed the other 3 gas mowers (a fourth was stolen) I have bought or had given to me since Hurricane Katrina. I go to Lowe's or Home Depot, by a "return" Bolens or whatever the base, no frills mower with the Briggs and Stratton. One of these lasts a long time at The Cabin in the mountains of North Carolina but in New Orleans, eventually you hit something big that wasn't there a few hours before, or the mower gets stolen. As good as something Honda may be (I love my S-2000, no it doesn't spend much time in New Orleans anymore) your bogeymen are not addressed by something that's higher precision. The Honda mower gets stolen; gets run over by the significant other. Hits something and the crank is bent. Is in the garage when the area is inundated or the garage burns to the ground. IMO it is not wise to have one of the nicest mowers in your neighborhood.

My last "bought and returned" gas mower, 22 inches, you push it, came from Home Depot and cost $ 37-38 plus tax.

5. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

6. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

7. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

This thread got me thinking that I had not sharpened my blades in some time. I started to inspect and sharpen them today, and after 12 plus years they were pretty chipped up. I went to the depot and picked up a new Honda mulching blades kit. Five minute swap and now it's perfect again.
    The only downside is, now I'm wondering - what if I get another 12 years or more out of this mower and never get to buy a robot? ;)

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  8. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

I’ve had the cheapest Chinese made mower for the past twenty years. The importer has long gone out of business but the thing just keeps going and going. It spent at least 15 years outside with only a plastic bucket over the engine for protection from rain and it still starts first time.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  9. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I bought a Craftsman 15 years ago...it's started on the first pull every time when used regularly. I stopped mowing my lawn about 4 years ago but recently had to mow it myself. I pulled it out, added gas and after 4 years it started right up on the third pull. In 15 years I serviced it once.

Wolfboy1 and michael razor like this.
  10. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

If you're going to push it, Honda. If you're going to ride it, Deere.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  11. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Honda with the composite deck

12. aldocello

aldocello Member

I always had starting problems with Briggs and Stratton engines. So I switched to Tecumseh. Always started well, no mechanical problems. They're out of business now - the result of corporate greed. I would go with anything that has a Honda engine. I've also heard good things about Husqvarna. I'm not trusting Toro lately. Although they made great products in the past they are supposedly using Chinese engines and being rather secretive about it.

13. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

I saw pressure washers that had Subaru engines last year but same place didn't
    have them this year. I didn't know Subaru was into small engines.

PLX likes this.
  14. steve sanderson

steve sanderson Silver Supporting Member

Honda! As others have said, buy it from a lawn and garden shop or a Honda motorcycle shop that sells them. I bought mine in 03 from the local bike shop and it started first pull even after being put up all winter as long as I owned it. Sold it to the neighbor when we moved to FL 3 years ago and it's still going strong.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  15. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

If you are a bad ass like Chuck Norris you don't need a lawn mower. He just stands on the porch and dares the grass to grow! True story...google it!

ned7flat5 and Dave M like this.
  16. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Honda with the composite deck. Keep it well maintained and it will last for decades (ours is 19 years old).

17. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

LOL.....got you all beat as far as Honda's ! I bought an aluminum decked commercial Honda in 1991. I finally had to take out behind the shed last month and put it out of it's misery. The motor still started on the first pull, but the blade/clutch assembly gave up. I bought a new composite decked commercial model. Buy a Honda!

Jerry G likes this.