1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need to buy a recorder.....which one!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by big e, Feb 15, 2009.

1. big e

big e Member

Although I have experience with multi-track tape recorders, I have never owned a digital recorder but I need to get one. I have no idea which one will do the trick without getting me overwhelmed with the learning curve. Here's how I will use it:

To record live band gigs
    To record my amp in my studio
    To transfer recordings to my computer

I have a Mackie 10 channel amp. I have a couple of 57 mics. etc I just want something simple that will sound great.

2. chickenbackside

chickenbackside Member

I would get a laptop, a portable audio interface and run a DAW software. A multi-track digital recorder is expensive, limiting and complicated to use.

Hassle-free and no-learning-curve-required would have to go to Apple computers and their included GarageBand software. My friend's 8 year old little girl figured it out all by herself and is now making her own music in her own room playing acoustic guitar and singing at the same time.

Click on the "+" sign, choose either MIDI or real audio track (in your case, real audio track), then press the big red record button and you're off.

No need to transfer. You can mix right within the software with automation and included effects, even pitch correction.

3. art_z

art_z Silver Supporting Member

Alesis HD24.

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

A HD24XR would be my pic if you need to record many channels at once.

If you're just taking a stereo feed from the PA, something like the Echo Audiofire 8 and a notebook would do the job. I'd recommend something with at least two mic preamps plus at least two line inputs so you can record the PA and and a pair of room mics.

5. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Tom....youve used both...is the XR clearly superior sounding compared to the D2424LV?

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Sonically, not a huge difference to me. The Alesis machines are superior in that the fireport option makes computer integration painless.