• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need to buy a speaker cable for a combo amp

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
Searching and coming up w/ very little. Please point me in a proper direction. Tnx.

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
So to clarify, you have a 1/4 jack coming out of a combo chassis and going directly to the combo's speaker?

Tone Meister

Does that one work pretty well? Admittedly, I probably paid too much for a simple cable, but at 5 bucks I wonder how much better than the one I have in this ol' amp here. Is there a middle?
No offense intended, but you got hosed on the Monster cable. I could build one, but I'd have more than $5 in it. Copper is copper, that cable is more than adequate.

Sometimes we overthink things and guitar amplifier speaker cables are a prime example.

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
No offense intended, but you got hosed on the Monster cable. I could build one, but I'd have more than $5 in it. Copper is copper, that cable is more than adequate.

Sometimes we overthink things and guitar amplifier speaker cables are a prime example.
You're probably right. Not the first time I have spent too much on something. No offense taken at all.

On the flip side, take a look at your quote and then read your sig. Classic ironic humor. Love it.

Tone Meister

You're probably right. Not the first time I have spent too much on something. No offense taken at all.

On the flip side, take a look at your quote and then read your sig. Classic ironic humor. Love it.
True that, but don't overlook the law of diminishing returns. I design, build, and commission arena-level touring sound systems and we build every single cable from source to speaker and all AC power cabling. Copper is copper. If we bought what was commercially available, we'd quintuple our cabling costs, at a minimum.

Many commercially available cables targeted toward the musical instrument market are little more than over-hyped gimmicks. Considering a guitar amp has a frequency range of roughly 70 Hz to 5kHz, it doesn't require much of a speaker cable to get that amplified signal from the amp to the speaker when that run is 36" or less.

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
OK, I'm gonna start building combo amplifier speaker cables for a living. I could make $2000 a day if the market could bear that sales quantity.
Well, maybe you should, seeing as a google search reveals very little here as the OP states, maybe there is a market.

The thicker the guage, the more current it can carry theoretically, so I always shoot for 16 and even have a 12. Heck, I've even used 12 g home hookup electrical wire to connect two JBL's in a 2x12 combo. Sounded great! The JBL's have nice push on clips that the wire fits into perfectly. But even if will admit that's overkill.

Tone Meister

... Heck, I've even used 12 g home hookup electrical wire to connect two JBL's in a 2x12 combo. Sounded great! The JBL's have nice push on clips that the wire fits into perfectly. But even if will admit that's overkill.
Conversely, we use 100' runs of 12 gauge to connect double 18" subwoofers to Crown MacroTech 5000 amplifiers (times 20).

EDIT: 100 foot runs, not 100 inch runs.

Last edited:

gldtp99

Does that one work pretty well? Admittedly, I probably paid too much for a simple cable, but at 5 bucks I wonder how much better than the one I have in this ol' amp here. Is there a middle?
I've never ordered one of these cables---- I build tube amps from scratch so I usually just make up any cables I need for myself. When I do this I like to use Switchcraft or other high quality connectors.
But I don't really like to sit around making cables, it just bugs me----- the three most used speaker cables in my shop (1/4" to 1/4") are some Monster cables I picked up at GC---- and I paid a premium price for them---- I could have made up my own for much less money but if these ever develop problems I can just take them back and get new ones.
I linked to the AES cable as another option---- It costs very little but it may be too long (34 inches) to be practical unless the excess length is cut off and the remaining running ends are soldered to the speaker tabs---- this is the way I like to do combo amp speaker cabs, soldered connections on the speaker instead of push connectors................... gldtp99

Trending Topics

Top Bottom