Need to Buy - Portable Amp - Quick

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by darkstar11, May 21, 2008.

1. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

Hi..

I have done some searches.. But I need some quick advice.

I am going on a trip for 2 week and decided (last minute).. that I could not live without my electric guitar. We are driving.. but space is limited and no way can I bring my amp.

Ok.. so I see these tiny amps.. like the a Roland MC or Vox DA5 and it seems one of these would be great size wise. (I can go a bit bigger though)

I can spend up to $200 and just want the best bang for buck.. volume may not be as important as decent tone for fun/practice.

Any advice..? I need to buy from local store like GC or Sam Ash... so it can't be a unit too hard too find.

So what is the coolest (small) amp to get?

2. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

Fender G-Dec is cool.

3. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

+1 on the Fender G-Dec.

4. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

Ok.. I see the Fender G-Dec at GCcom and there are several different ones .. Is the model you guys talking about around $269 ? .. Or is it the G-Dec Jr model for $149?

I actually like the size and weight (and price $139) of the Vox DA5. But wonder if it is too "little"

Ok.. please give me some more input!

Thanks!!

5. Ace_F4i

Ace_F4i Member

blackheart BH5H. look up videos on youtube. EXCELLENT bang for the buck there my friend. $179 and 5w for perfect bedroom volume. get a distortion driver pedal and you're good to go. also... this amp was actually designed to be modified and customized. Mojotone offers a hand wired P2P board with boutique level components and mercury magnetics has a full transformer/choke upgrade. they also offer an upgrade to 6V6 tubes that make it 13w output and with a lot more balls.

6. phatster

phatster Member

Check out the thread for the fender super champ xd...I got mine for 259.00....great grab and go amp~!

7. mnsixstring

mnsixstring Member

If you don't mind headphones, I've plugged into the mixer out of my Bad Monkey, just bring a power supply with and you're good to go. I have it at the end of the chain on my pedalboard and use the preceding pedals too, works pretty good.

8. oldrock

oldrock Member

I'd say microcube for right around hundred bucks is hard to beat. Runs for a long time on AA batteries or use the included power supply. I've had one for about 3 years now and seems very durable plus decent effects in a small lightweight package. Other option would be that new pod from line 6 pocket pod or something.

9. PFCG

PFCG Member

Pandoraaa!!!!

10. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

Thanks.. all

I'll be making my way today to a couple stores here in Raleigh .

I'd like the amp to be fairly lightweight.. too.

Also, I do not want a headphone amp .. can't stand using headphones for jamming.

11. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

After doing some thinking... I need something small and not super powerful.

I just need a small-little amp.. I already have a nice combo amp (Swart AST)

Anyone hear anything about this new Roland Micro Cube RX w/Four 4" speakers. Lots of features for around $229...Looks like a pretty neat little amp!

[​IMG]