Need to get my tremolo sound more ambient

Zillie

Hi,
I'm now working on a soundtrack (well, more like background music) for my friend's amateur movie and he wants me to get some ambient sounds. I would like to nail this (starts at 0:30):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ8ZsLaYtPo

I guess there was used a Fender combo with tremolo and I can get that tremolo sound with my old Boss TR-2 but it doesn't sound just as deep and wet as it does in the video. I tried to add my EHX Holy Grail (spring mode) as it sounds quite surf-ish and it's closer but still not as good. Maybe it's because I used my Marshall Vintage Modern instead of Fender (which I don't own now) or is the problem in the pedals? Is there a tremolo pedal that can get that wet?

Pale Rider

Gold Supporting Member
That sounds like a Fender combo, which built in will have that more direct, hard sound, in my opinion-and there's so good mic placement and other heavy reverb there-
you'd need a nice reverb tank unit or a better reverb pedal to"nail" it-

Nathan Larsen, in case you don't know, was in a great 90s band called Shudder To Think-highly recommend Pony Express Record

94prs22

Platinum Supporting Member
I would get a tremolo pedal, like the Dr. Scientist Tremoloessence, which has an adjustable waveshape control. The tremolo on the video shown can definitely be done with the Dr. Scientist, it sounds to me like a medium depth, asymetric (ramp in faster) square wave. I don't think a Fender would ever do that particular wave shape. For the reverb, a nice digital plate algorithm would work, a Fender 6G15 would probably work too. Regardless, the tone of the reverb is dark and it's in the medium range of decay and mix settings for the 6G15.
Hope that helps,

ROKY

To get that sound I use a Guyatone VTX Tube trem, but my Moogerfooger Ring Mod will do it, also .

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
The old Voodoo Labs 4 knob Trem is good at that .....

Also the Diaz Tremodillo has a great almost helicopterish ....

and yes the different amp will affect that as well as it will have a diferent EQ ....... you might try using a graphic EQ to adjust the mids to have the correct impact......

and try putting your reverb before the trem - it will have more impact ....

PerFusionist

Silver Supporting Member
You could nail it with the Red Witch Pentavocal Trem.

Watch this and pay attention to the "bottom" control and to the lower numbers in the vocal control (I or II listening to the video you posted).

Zillie

thanks for your replies, guys...

To get that sound I use a Guyatone VTX Tube trem, but my Moogerfooger Ring Mod will do it, also .
but you use some reverb with either one, don't you? (technically, I can get that sound with my tremolo pedal too, it just doesn't have that vibe...)

and try putting your reverb before the trem - it will have more impact ....
this is a good advice, it helped quite a lot, again... very surfish, i'm going to try to add some drive as well (after the reverb)

Trending Topics