Need to nail that solo tone (Manson's Sweet Dreams cover)

Zillie

Hi guys,
my band's gonna cover this tune so I'd like to get it sound right. There are some interesting effect uses in this song: there is a wah part after first chorus which sounds almost like an autowah (at least I can't nail it very well with my regular wah pedal) and there's an interesting effect used on a solo (fuzz/synth/?) which starts at 2:50 and then again at about 3:50...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6VojYGrnpg

I think 'm gonna use my Boss AW-2 for the wah part but what pedal would get me that solo tone?

Martin

phazersonstun

Wah & Delay in front of a dirty amp with a bridge position bucker.
I doubt an auto wah or envelope filter will accomplish the same mood for you.

Besides the wah, the main vibe from that tone comes from the delay.
Ran into the front of a dirty amp, the repeats on the delay distort making the part sound pretty sinister.

Last edited:

Zillie

thanks a lot, I'll try that, I haven't really worked much on the wah part...

but what about the lead tone? i'm listening to it again and again and it sounds kinda glitchy to me, bit like Whammy glitchiness but i doubt that's the Whammy pedal, it sounds more like a fuzz to me

phazersonstun

I was refering to the lead tone in the post above.
I has been a while since I listened to it but I'm pretty sure the glitchiness you're talking about is the distorted delay.

Zillie

Oh, sorry:bonk I wasn't sure though because you mentioned the autowah I was gonna use for the wah part and not for the solo... btw, I downloaded the official "Lest We Forget" guitar book and it says it's a ring modulator for the leads so maybe that's the synthy glitchiness but wah (especially in tow down position) and delay can get quite close to the orginal

Trending Topics