Need to replace my Banzai, not the sound...just the pedal. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Dec 2, 2005.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

Listen to the Banzai Cold Fusion on the "Slide Thing" clip.

Hear that? That's how it sounds with my hollowbody/P90 guitar. The problem is that my Strat doesn't get along with the Banzai so well and since I made a new rule regarding my pedalboard...it has to go. I want all my pedals to sound good with all my guitars. I have had this pedal for about 2 years and hate to see it go, but I can't afford a pedalboard for each guitar.

Do you have recommendations for the tones heard on that clip?
    The amp is a Fender Blues Deluxe, guitars will be a Fender American Deluxe Strat with SCN's and a Sorrento thin hollow with P90's. I like the bluesy grit. I'd also like to try to keep it below $200 because I want to utilize mostly whatever I get for the Banzai for this purchase.

A few pedals that come to mind to try out would include:

Diamond Drive/Drive SE
    Crowther Audio Bluesberry
    Lovepedal Eternity
    Hermida Zendrive
    Clark Gainster
    Keeley TS9 Mod+/Deluxe

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

Nothing huh, well......I'll keep poking around listening to clips then.

3. Blues67

Blues67 Member

I am a big fan of the Banzai CF, but I find that I now use the Zen Drive all the time with both my Strat and ES-335. It has more low-mids and sounds more amp like. It still has that singing quality that the CF has.

I found the Eternity to be too compressed for my tastes except at low gain (9 o'clock). A little too much TS flavor for me.

The pedal that I found that sounds most like the CF is the HAO Rumble Mod, but I found that the color knob did not allow me to get exactly the right mix of bass and treble.

The Zen drive has both Tone and Voice controls to match it to any amp and guitar combo. Using it with a Tim or Timmy is a great combo for a low gain (Tim) and medium gain (Zen). I am using this with a Deluxe Reverb.

Another idea. I always had success with the CF and my Strat. I used a Keeley Compressor before the CF when using my Strat, but turned it off with the 335.

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

Thanks for a great reply! I have focused most of my interest in the Zendrive so your remarks help. I will definitely try using my comp with the strat before the CF and see what results I get!

Thank you so much!

5. muddy

muddy Member

pro analog dual drive. period. the clean drive channel, or the overdrive with the gain backed off. otherwise, scotty's power driver. it's amazing how many things this one pedal can do. it's a klon-killer.

ml

6. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Hi Muddy,

As you'll have seen from the Power Driver threads I am seriously digging the PD. Your klon-killer comment made me curious...

Specifically, what do you think the PD does better than the Klon? I have compared both head to head and find that neither does what the other does well (the reason I have both :)) and considering the two pedals' history and topology I get the feeling they are going for different things anyway, but I wondered what aspect you meant all the same.

Chris

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

Why that's the SD-1 with Indy's mods. ;)

I didn't see your Korg DT-10 clip, you didn't remove it did you? :p

8. muddy

muddy Member

i simply meant as a straight-up, clean boost. it has an absurd amount of headroom, with the further ability to sculpt the tone to your rig. from that standpoint, for me, it kinda makes the klon obselete. it didn't mean to say they sounded alike, though. but i would include the boost royale alongside the pd as well; it's equally as versatile. i find the klon to be a one-trick pony by comparison.

ml

9. gururyan

gururyan Member

Well, I believe I have decided to go with the MJM Blues Devil. :Devil