Need user info on the new Hofner verithins

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluejohnp, Aug 21, 2006.

1. bluejohnp

bluejohnp Member

I eventually worked out that I prefer the fender scale length for the kind of stuff I play, and I've been looking atound for a semi with this feature. The Johhny A is out on price and availability, and I get the impression that Gretsch use the gibson scale. I see that Hofners are 25.5 and wondered if anyone here had tried one and could provide a players assessment
    Much appreciated.

2. einstein

einstein Member

i played a carvin sh225 at the carvin factory in 83. it was fantastic for any kind of sound from metal to rock to jazz. When i played all the other axes through the same amp they ALL sounded dead and lifeless. When asked Mark Keisel what the deal was he said it was a hofner hollowbody made in germany. I beleve the very thin is a similar guitar or the same body. Got a great distorted sound. theyre impossible to find. they were $600 in 84. Like the quad x preamp carvin always quits production on anything that actually sounds good in favor of mediocre higher profit cosmetically appealing rubbish. the hofners seem expensive but thats inflation.

3. Ron Houben

Ron Houben Member

I played the verythin on several occasions. I really liked the guitar, the playability was spot on and it had a better sustain than many Gibsons. The tone was a bit lighter than a that of a 335. Overall I thought the builtquality was better than a standard 335 from other companies. Because it is so thin, it is very comfortable to hold and VERY lightweight.
    The only thing that set me off a bit is the fact that the neck is "planted" odd into the body, but that is because the guitar is that thin.

Soundwise I would put it in the Beatles field in stead of the Larry Carlton. As said it played like a dream.
    Good luck with making the choice.
    Ron.

4. george4908

george4908 Member

>>Soundwise I would put it in the Beatles field instead of the Larry Carlton.

Well said. I have one and I've always felt it makes for a great pop sound, somewhat Rickenbacker-ish. It's on consignment at the moment because I need to move a few things, but it's a cool, offbeat guitar. Something a lot of people don't realize is that the pickups are tapped. With the tone control on 10, it's in quasi-single coil mode; roll the tone control back to around 8.5 and it's in full humbucker mode.

5. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

hey man, got pics of that guitar?

:)

6. george4908

george4908 Member

7. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

My local store carries these and I've played them a few times. They sound good to me and they're certainly a well-made guitar as you'd expect from a German company that have spent the last few decades mostly making violins (Hofner made guitars in the 60s, including Verithins, then stopped and have only restarted recently).

8. bluejohnp

bluejohnp Member

Feedback much appreciated guys. The photos posted by geoge4908 make me want one even more. Price here in the uk sits at about 1200 quid for the basic model, which compares favourably with a Gibby. Might try to check one out in central london this weekend (perhaps with my dodgy attempt at Kid Charlemaine:AOK ). The original sixties versions of this guitar sell for about 600 pounds on ebay but apparently lack the build quality of the new ones. I am curious as to how easy it would be to change the pickups as they and the surrounds appear to be non standard in size. However, this is probably not as important to me as it would be to others.

9. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I have a Jazzica hollowbody and I love it! The quality is top-notch and the guitar just sings!

Definitely check-out the Verythins, if they're anything like the Jazzica it'll be a great axe.

10. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

I'd suggest you buy George's guitar - it was handpicked for a NAMM show, has had the frets worked on and is effectively better than new.

Or you could look for a new Verythin Standard, which is a variation on the Verythin Classic. The Standard has been redesigned for 06 and is different in a few key ways:
    - the block in the Standard is now Mahogany, no longer spruce
    - the pickups in the Standard are now full-sized humbuckers sunk into the body instead of the minihumbuckers sitting on top of the body. Still Schaller-made
    - the neck sits further into the body now as a result of the change in pickup configuration
    - narrower, higher frets - changed on all new Hofners
    - bizarre double dots on the Standard were replaced with single dots
    - cool new cherry red colour available as well as "natural finish" - pix of a red one on Steve Russell's Hofner site

The original Verithin is really a different guitar - more like an old Gibson ES-330 - it is hollow and the neck meets the body much further in. Sounds different, feels different, acts different. Build quality on them is actually pretty good. The new Verythin is really a tip of the hat to the original as opposed to a reissue.

11. Peter Z

Peter Z Member

How much would you expect to pay for a used verythin classic in very good condition (2001 model year) ?

12. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I checked out a Verithin for about 10 minutes once. Very good guitar. Some Gretsches are 25-1/2" scale. I'm sure the White and black Falcons are.