1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Need value on a 67 tele... but its been messed with!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cap217, May 21, 2011.

1. cap217

cap217 Member

I found a 67 tele but has been extra highly modified.

Neck is 67 has a new recap on and non org tuners
    Body has a psychidelic paint job but is old
    body has been routed for a bridge humbucker
    Body has been routed for a tremolo from a strat
    now has a strat bridge

Something like this might not be worth anything but I really want a 60s rosewood tele!!! He is asking $1800. What is a reasonable offer? I am thinking its a $1k guitar.

2. cap217

cap217 Member

3. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

imo.......
    sounds more like $700 max!!!
    is the decal still orig??

again...>>>imo.

4. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

$1k sounds about right to me.

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

well like you said, you want a 60's rosewood tele. how old is that recap? is it even 60s brazilian rosewood anymore, or is the recap an east indian rosewood recap from the 70s-present? plus, that body is going to be as far from a "real tele" kinda resonance as you're going to get, honestly a present day tele body with no routing is probably going to sound closer to the real deal. plus, a strat bridge? part of the magic of a tele is that tele bridge/pickup coupling.

for what you want, i'd save my $1800 and go find a nice used custom shop 60s tele with a RW neck, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Telecaster-Relic-1963-Custom-Shop-/200607274421?pt=Guitar&hash=item2eb52015b5

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

each "key" component of value has been swapped out or modified so the fact that it was once a 67 Tele is lost. It's value is purely in how it plays and sounds, but with a Strat trem you don't even have a baseline for how it "should" play and sound.

Pay what YOU think it's worth according to it's tone and playability, because the parts add up to about $0.

7. cap217

cap217 Member

This guy rips a lot of people off. Sells headstock repaird les pauls and doesnt tell people if its not noticable!

I pass on it...

8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Sounds like you did your homework cap217. If you know the seller history is bad too, don't get near it.

9. BrentB6

BrentB6 Member

No way a thousand. The trem route is the ultimate deal breaker for me. Maybe 600 tops IMO.

10. big mike

big mike House Plexi Staff Member

Bzzzzt.

It's too f'd with. not even old wood is worth that.

11. straycat113

straycat113 Member

Good advice all around, I would pass as the only thing left original that matters is the year it was made.

12. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Putting the shady seller issue aside, I don't get why people think $1k is unreasonable. If this was just advertised as a relic Warmoth partscaster, wouldn't $1k be a reasonable asking price? With this one, at least you're getting some old wood (assuming the seller was honest about that part).

13. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

Not worth anything like $1800, it's a Frankenstein at best.

I think a lot of folks would be hard pressed to pay a grand for a Warmoth build too... I know I would. Not trying to troll or piss of anybody, but a partscaster is worth much less than the sum of it's parts.... especially if you don't know the builder.