need vintage marshall verification help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wsaraceni, Feb 15, 2008.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

im looking at an old marshall. serial number is S/A3318C it seems. Which i think puts it at a 50 watt from 1971. how can i tell if it's a 1987 or 1986? anyone have a pic of one that isnt modded that i can compare? im not sure what the transformers are but im trying to get that information. stuff like that. dont want to buy something that's been modded to hell but dont know how to tell if it isnt. also, i know ill get referred to plexi palace but twice i tried to sign up for an account there and still havent gotten a confirmation. also, for a 1971, should it be PTP or PCB? i think the price is fair.

thanks
    bill

2. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Bill, look on Mark's site (www.marksguitarloft.com) in the "Amplifiers" section. There's a '70 1987 on there (marked as sold) that has an internal photo you could use for comparison. I have a '71 1986 but I can't check or shoot pix for you because I'm in KY and the amp is in NH.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

thanks. i did look at that but wasnt sure if 71 would be the same as a 70 or if it would be PCB. also, if they have the same transformers, the one im looking at has a big bar code sticker on it. think it might be a modern set of transformers. plus the just look too clean the seller is asking $1200 for it

[​IMG]

4. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

71 is definitely still PTP! But those transformers, especially the one with the bar code sticker, sure don't look right. OTOH $1200 is a pretty good price for a '71 1986 or 1987. I'd see what the seller has to say about replaced X-formers and any other changes.

BTW, the internal differences are fairly minor but my 1986 says "bass" on the back panel.

5. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

is it possible to find the correct transformers for them and "restore" these old amps. i think im gonna play it and if it sounds good pick it up. i dont buy amps to collect, but original is nice to have.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Finding the right transformers is neigh on impossible. With the changed PT which can be seen in the picture $1200 is a reasonable price with a changed OT it is a bit high. The OT is the heart and soul of the amp changed OT and you have little more then a bunch spare parts. Now those can sound terrific mind you just not collectible.

Post a pic of the board if you have it.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

IF you can get the codes from the transformers, we can tell you what they are. The guy selling it, at $1200, is asking good money not a bargain, so he should be willing to help you understand what you're buying. If he won't, walk away, he's probably not telling you stuff that'd make you pass on the amp. There are 50w 71s out there for sale and a good one that you can be sure of is a much better deal than a cheap one you're going to regret!

8. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

said the transformers are replaced but no other mods. i guess ill wait till i can find something more original. of course that will probably cost me a lot more than $1200 and probably a lot more than $2k

9. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

It's a 50 watter with replaced tranformers, $1200 is not that bad of a price. Will be a PTP board since it's a '71. What can you get for $1200 nowadays? I think you should get it.