• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Need [want] a Bogner! Help me decide... (long post)

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Could you give me an idea of the differences between the Shiva EL34 head vs the Shiva Anniversary model on the Overdrive channel? Isn't there a switch on the Anniversary model that lets you go from Mid-lows to Mid-highs?
The Anniversary Shiva does have two new buttons- one of them is an eq shift that lifts some of the mids- I think its more of a lower-mid lift which is why some might find it to be a more upper-mid addition. I think that the shift is very useful, but less because of the mid shift (I actually increased the mids after pressing the shift button to get it more full/smooth) but because it softens the overall feel and makes it even smoother. The aggressiveness button was cool well and definitely helped the gain channel be more versatile.

However, the hippest feature to me on the Anniversary was the gain boost on the clean channel- beautiful broken up lead tones without the body and thickness of the shiva gain channel. This boost really rounds out the tones available in a shiva. If there was reverb built into this bad boy it might be the end all.

after much thinking, my current plan to pick up a used Shiva EL34 head for the time being, and then save up for a few months and buy a EL34 Duende head with a global mids and high gain mods from the factory... Shiva comes first for now though... :dude

splatt

david torn / splattercell
i reiterate:
if yer not in a blinding hurry,
wait..... & try the goldfinger.
big plus? amazing reverb, really.

and/or:
you may also wanna try the fryette memphis combo, after namm;
could be right up yer alley.

dt / spltrcl

thiscalltoarms

the Goldfinger does sound cool- its 4x 6v6s correct? I like 6v6s clean but not really dirty. For gain tones I'm a EL84/EL34/KT88 man- the duende is the only overdriven 6v6 amp I have EVER been into (Princeton cleans are the only 6v6 I currently use). That said, since I dig the duende, I should give the Goldfinger a shot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I like Bogner 6v6 amps because they run JJs which tend to be more mid heavy and less "breaking glass" toned when they overdrive. Anyone else think this way?

***EDIT: http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/...how_Bogner_Amplification_Goldfinger_Demo.aspx

I found this video of the new 3 channel Goldfinger (clean, crunch, high gain) and I really didn't find the cleans all that compelling compared to the EL34 Shiva or 6v6 Duende- Bogner himself describes the tone as very rubbery (and thats exactly what it is- and its not my thing). Honestly, I liked the crunch tones and the high gain channel dialed clean, but that rubbery insanely low mid heavy clean is really uninspiring to me, and the high gain just didn't roar enough (too much compression or something?). I still think in the end I am going to end up with an EL34 Shiva and a Duende (maybe EL34, maybe 6v6)...

Between the two amps I could have all 4 of my ideal tones- sparkling clean no/light verb (EL34 shiva clean), slightly breaking up clean with moderate verb (Duende clean heavy verb), beautiful crunchy rhythm (Duende Gain Channel), and fluid singing lead tones (EL34 Shiva dirty). Oh man, the idea of it makes me salivate a little. :drool

Last edited:

splatt

david torn / splattercell
the Goldfinger does sound cool- its 4x 6v6s correct? I like 6v6s clean but not really dirty. For gain tones I'm a EL84/EL34/KT88 man- the duende is the only overdriven 6v6 amp I have EVER been into (Princeton cleans are the only 6v6 I currently use). That said, since I dig the duende, I should give the Goldfinger a shot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I like Bogner 6v6 amps because they run JJs which tend to be more mid heavy and less "breaking glass" toned when they overdrive. Anyone else think this way?

***EDIT: http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/...how_Bogner_Amplification_Goldfinger_Demo.aspx

I found this video of the new 3 channel Goldfinger (clean, crunch, high gain) and I really didn't find the cleans all that compelling compared to the EL34 Shiva or 6v6 Duende- Bogner himself describes the tone as very rubbery (and thats exactly what it is- and its not my thing). Honestly, I liked the crunch tones and the high gain channel dialed clean, but that rubbery insanely low mid heavy clean is really uninspiring to me, and the high gain just didn't roar enough (too much compression or something?). I still think in the end I am going to end up with an EL34 Shiva and a Duende (maybe EL34, maybe 6v6)...

Between the two amps I could have all 4 of my ideal tones- sparkling clean no/light verb (EL34 shiva clean), slightly breaking up clean with moderate verb (Duende clean heavy verb), beautiful crunchy rhythm (Duende Gain Channel), and fluid singing lead tones (EL34 Shiva dirty). Oh man, the idea of it makes me salivate a little. :drool
i'm sure you'll find something --- one amp --- that can make ya happy.

but,
it's not a great (nor realistic) idea to judge any amp from video-cam clips made randomly
--- by a member of the press, in this case ---
at amp-shows.
really!
enjoy.

dt / spltrcl

thiscalltoarms

ended up picking up a shiva el34 on craigslist for a great deal with a hardcase. Doesn't beat the Duende 6v6 in my apartment, but in order to get a Duende I'd need to sell both my PRRI and my Maz Jr head. and thats a very tough sell, even for the Duende (the PRRI is so small, light, quiet and portable; the Maz can dial everything from marshall to fender with a vox in between). Maybe someday, but for now my new (old version) Shiva sounds great at moderate to BIG volumes- eventually I'll have the boost volume control added so that I can tweak that solo tone a little more. I am a pretty happy camper all around though.

cbguy

Green & Gold Supporter
I had a Shiva and thought it had a very usable master volume. I traded it because my back couldn't handle it. I still have my Duende. I would think about the 6L6 Duende or another Shiva (6L6).

MightyGuru

update- took Radiohead's advice and since I am visiting my parents in New Jersey this week, I took the day to "bring my mom and wife to see the tree" but also stopped in at Rudy's Music around the corner from Rockerfeller center. They had 4 Shivas:
-Shiva EL34 1x12 combo
-Shiva EL34 head with verb into Bogner 4x12
-Shiva 6L6 2x12 combo
-Shiva Anniversary with 2x12 combo

After about an hour of my mom sitting playing tetris on my phone in the next room over (glass doors shut to make it less "loud") and my wife making suggestions as to which one sounded the best and had the best reverb, I came to the following conclusions:

1. the best lead tone bar-none came from the 20th Ann Shiva gain channel, but cleans without reverb are not really interesting to me on an amp in this price range, which rules that one out for a gigging guitar (I'd love to record through one though!).
I have a 20th Ann'y Shiva with dual reverb....it is a great amp. I prefer it over my old EL34 Shiva. The lead channel is amazing for sure.

Top Bottom