Need (want) a semi-hollow

Wirezz

GAS has hit and I'd like a cheaper (foreign made) semi-hollow guitar.

I definitely prefer a more standard les paul style neck (50s profile). I want a hardtail.

I'm quite drawn to the PRS semi hollows but they all seem to have a wide flat neck.
Another option would be epiphone dots or a gretch of some sort.

Any recommendations ?

TheGuildedAge

No specific recommendations, but many of the Epiphones models are nice.

With less expensive guitars, it's best to play a few. Our Music Go Round had a few Epis that were really nice.

Semi hollow bodies are great and very versatile. I play jazzish to hard rock on my Guild. It's a 1996 Starfire IV, great guitar.

Synex7254

The only guitar that immediately comes to mind that would have a chunkier neck is the PRS S2 Custom or Singlecut Semi-hollows which have a Pattern Regular neck. Its not a full 50's but not a thin neck. I don't think you'll get the same semi-hollow sound from the PRS' as you would a 355 type guitar though so will really depend on what you're looking for.

As far as 335 type guitars go, I believe there were some Epi Dot's made several years ago with 50's necks but you'd have to see if you could find one used. Eastman may be another one to check out too...never played one so can't comment on the neck profiles but have read they are good guitars.

Ncp10

I've found a few Artcore AS-73 Ibanez with bigger necks, but most are smaller. Good sounding guitars for the range. I much preferred them to Epiphone dots.

Last edited:

bgmacaw

I like the Ibanez Artcores.

Epiphones aren't bad either although some older ones had "not so great" pickups and electronics. The good news is that on most mid-prices recent ones they've vastly improved both the pickups and electronics.

What do you mean by "cheaper"? $250? $500? $1000?
Exactly, TGP "cheaper" starts at about $1500.

cap10kirk

PRS SE Zach Myers. Single cut, 24.5" scale, semi hollow, and it has the wide fat neck. Still not what I would consider a 50's Gibson style neck, but much better than the 60's slim taper my Epiphone 335 Pros and my Dot had.

fitz

The Epi 339 Pro is a good deal & the quality is up there as well for a $450 guitar. They all seem to have a "D" shaped neck. While not 50's fat like my LP 58RI, it is not considered thin by any means. I would assume the ES 339 Pro would have the same neck as well.

Wirezz

Thanks for the advice so far!

The PRS Zach Myers, epiphone 335 and 339 look great. I don't think I can try the zach myers in person though. Anyone compared one with an epiphone before ?

Wirezz

I had an artcore full hollow before but for some reason the neck felt very plasticky....

cap10kirk

Thanks for the advice so far!

The PRS Zach Myers, epiphone 335 and 339 look great. I don't think I can try the zach myers in person though. Anyone compared one with an epiphone before ?
I've played a couple of the Zach Myers, and I've owned two Epiphone ES-335 Pros, one Epiphone Dot, and one Epiphone Wildkat (just to name the semi hollows). All 4 of my Epi semi hollows had a slim taper, flat back d-shape neck, the PRS has a little fatter neck, and imo, a more comfortable shape. I also prefer the wraparound bridge on the PRS, especially with the problems I've had with the TOM on my Epiphone Les Paul, I'll gladly take the simpler design every time. Also, since the Zach Myers has a satin finish on the neck, it feels a lot better to play.
The thing is, I like Epiphones, and I've owned more Epiphones than anything else at this point. But because of how hard it is to find an Epiphone with a fatter neck, I won't be buying another Epi semi hollow or hollow body.

Medgeking

I recently had an Epiphone ES-335 Pro which absolutely blew me away for the price. Great meaty neck, REALLY good sounding pickups and and sharp looking. However, I found that I couldn't really get used to the feel of a 335. Not really a failing of the guitar, I just realised that the style isn't for me.

So, I sold it and got a Reverend Club King RT. Doesn't really sound like a 335, more like a cross between a Tele and a Gretsch. My Reverend Double Agent III has become my favorite guitar and I'm falling really hard for Reverend in general. They are incredible guitars with very useful upgrades.

Chicago Slim

I've got a Zach Myers with a 24.5" scale and Wide/Fat neck and an S2 Singlecut semi-hollow, with a 25" scale and Pattern Regular shape.

Ejay

i just tried some eastmans, imo they are beating anything on the market right now...by Miles!!!!..for amazing prices.

Both the semi as well as the full acoustics.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
Edwards and Tokai models would be worth looking at. I also like fatter 50s necks, and there are some nice Epiphones that qualify, but they are somewhat tough to find. The Eastmans are super nice, but I don't think they have any models with a thick neck.

Trending Topics