Need wet/dry setup confirmation please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SamsDaddy, Dec 17, 2009.

1. SamsDaddy

SamsDaddy Member

Hi guys!

I am going to attempt to do a wet/dry setup tonight. Based on the searching I have done I think I have this right, but if you guys can confirm for me that I am doing this right I would appreciate it. Don't want to fry anything!

Using a Mojave Plexi 45 and Budda Superdrive 18 (to be used as clean-ish power amp)

I'm planning this setup...

Guitar > Mojave input > Mojave line out > pedal board > effect loop return on Budda

I should just be using instrument cables for that entire chain, correct? See anything wrong with this setup? Any tips to maximize the effectiveness of this setup.

Thanks!

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

You can try that, but a line level signal can be too hot for a lot of pedals.

3. michael patrick

Oh yeah, make sure you have a load on the Mojave or you'll blow the output transformer.

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I find that I prefer most pedal board type effects in front of an amp. Some pedal board delay and modulation type effects may work okay in a loop...but some won't.

Also, unless your Mojave has a parallel loop, you may not get any dry signal coming out of the speakers for the Mohave.

Really, the best way to do this, IMO, is to get the output from the dry amp after the power section. Perhaps in an ideal world, that would be done by miking the dry cab, but I find a good compromise is by taking a line level signal off the amp's output (you can use something like an H&K RedBox or many of the popular attenuators have line-outs on them). Then you run that into effects designed to work with line level signal. Then you amplify that processed signal somehow.

Some folks want to amplify the processed (wet) signal with tubes. I prefer using SS for that as I don't want to introduce any other distortion in the wet amplification setup; I just want it to accurately reproduce whatever distortion was there in the dry part of the system.

My 2 bits, FWIW.

5. michael patrick

Leon,

I'm pretty sure the line out on a Mojave is just that, a line level signal that comes after the power section. It's not an effects loop.

6. SamsDaddy

SamsDaddy Member

Let me add a little more detail...

The Mojave speaker out is connected to a 2x12 Mojave Cab. The line out of the Mojave is supposedly the entire amp signal after the power section. There is no effects loop on the Mojave.

I will only have a MXR Carbon Copy delay and BBE SoulVibe on the section of my board going into the Budda effect loop return.

Oh, and the Budda is a 2x12 combo.

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Leon offered sage advice as usual. All good points.

Per some of the issues he mentioned, my Kingsley D32C has a line out, 'after' the power section, and with a Level control, so that takes care of those issues. Going into my first time based effect, ie: Boss CE-20, it has a switch to select between line and guitar level input signals - problem solved.

You should also try going directly into the front end of the Buddha instead of the fx loop, and set the tone controls to be as flat as possible, to minimize additional tone coloring.

8. SamsDaddy

SamsDaddy Member

I wondered about trying going to the front of the Budda, but there is so little headroom on it that I thought it might not work so well. I'll give it a try though.

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Ah, I didn't know if the Mojave had a loop or what. Anyway, just try it, it's not likely you'll hurt anything doing what you've suggested. Worst thing that may happen is just that you don't like it that much.

If there's little headroom on the budda...it's probably the wrong amp...

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I don't think the headroom will be much different going into the fx loop. And you won't need much volume for the wet tones to blend nicely with the dry tones anyway, so headroom shouldn't be an issue.

11. SamsDaddy

SamsDaddy Member

That is probably true. I was just sort of wanting to monkey around with the idea of wet/dry. Being that these are my only amps, well...

I toyed with the idea of buying an A/B/Y box and running both amps at once, but didn't feel like shelling out money on something I might never use. Since using the line out option is free, I just thought I'd give it a try first.

I won't fry my Carbon Copy somehow putting a line-level signal into it?

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

12. JJman

JJman Member

Phase is always a concern with 2 amps. It's a 50/50 chance the phase will be out. Pedals can flip phase, each tube usually flips phase, speakers can be phased differently. The wetter the wet side is, the less the phase matters, while it's wet.

Having a separate amp with just echoes is a very cool sound. Especially if you separate the 2 amps from each other. Sounds like a great potential way to get reverb/delay on a distorted amp sound.