Need wiring advice: Jackson w/coil splitting....what a rat's nest!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by KissTone, Feb 20, 2009.

1. KissTone

KissTone Member

A student brought me his 7-string Jackson and asked me to "fix" the wiring. He said the coil splitting wasn't working on the neck pup. He had the local mom&pop shop install some DiMarzios (and they do notoriously poor work).

The guitar has two buckers, two push/pull volume pots, and a 3-way switch--no tone controls.

I opened it up last night . . . wires everywhere--jumpers, splices, inches of slack, etc.

I redid all of the grounds and completely rewired the push-pull pot for the neck pup.

Now, each pup sounds fine in both knob up or down mode. But the 3-way in the middle position sounds like the neck pup in the single coil mode no matter how I set the knobs.

Any ideas?

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Start by hooking the 'buckers up straight to the switch and see if the middle position sounds right like that. If it doesn't, my guess would be the pickups are out of phase with each other, which with a 4-conductor pickup is easy enough to fix - just switch the coil tap and the hot wires around til you find the combination that works right.

Could be that the switch part of one of the push-pulls is wired backwards or has just gone bad.

--chiba

3. KissTone

KissTone Member

Thanks---I'll try that this evening.

4. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member