Need Wiring help with a 2 HB guitar!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by duckbunny, Jan 30, 2008.

1. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

I'm wiring a guitar that has a neck Seth Lover, a Dimarzio ToneZone bridge, 1 volume and 1 tone control, and a 3-way p/up selector. What I'd like to know is this: I have a 3 position mini-toggle (with 6 poles on bottom) that I'd like to be able to wire so that the middle toggle position is normal setting, one position is both pickups out of phase, and the other position spliting the bridge H/B to single coil. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about wiring the mini toggle into the scheme?
    I can't find any diagrams at the usual places ( Duncan, guitarelectronics.com, etc.) and can't for the life of me figure this out!

Thanks,

-db

2. fumbler

fumbler Member

If you put both pickups "out of phase" then they'll still be in phase with each other. You really mean that you want to reverse the phase on ONE of the pickups (doesn't matter which). Then the two pups will be out of phase with each other.

The out-of-phase sound with two HB's is an "interesting" sound but you probably won't use it very often. If you still want to try it, I recommend reversing the **neck** pup; here's why: reversing the phase (hot/ground) will make any pickup buzz when you touch an exposed metal part of it (just like touching the tip of your guitar cable.) You're more likely to touch the bridge pu while playing so you should reverse the neck pup.

Unfortunately your 3-way mini switch won't do what you want. The middle position is both poles off which you don't want. To do the phase reversal you really want a 2-way dpdt switch. I'd recommend a push-pull pot. About $12.

To do the coil split on the bridge pup another push-pull pot would be great. But most people prefer a single-coil sound on the NECK pup. Can that pickuop be split?

-hth-
    fumbler

3. duckbunny

Thanks for the info, fum!
    The neck p/up is a Seth, which is 2 conductor, so it won't split, but that's OK by me, as It's in the neck purely for jazz tones. It's the bridge p/up that I need to split, for more funk stuff. Of course you are correct about the "splitting both" statement - poor choice of wording on my part! I only mention the phase reversal because I really like the Peter Green sound and thought it might be cool.
    I think I'll go with the push/pull for coil- splitting, and a mini 2-way dpdt for the phase reversal then. Any Idea how to wire it?

Thanks,
    -db

4. ojo1138

ojo1138 Member

I have a HH guitar that accidentally is out of phase in the mid position. I kind of like it, but the volume drop makes it kind of annoying. FWIW, in my guitar, it has a neat hollowy sound around the 5th fret, and is kind of cool.

5. fumbler

fumbler Member

A push/pull pot **is** a DPDT switch (usually). If you just replace *both* pots with push/pulls then you won't have to drill a hole for a new switch. The guitar will retain its stock appearance.

Sure. Will you be tackling it yourself? Or are you having a tech do it? It should be no problem for a tech. These are pretty standard mods but the combination of the two is pretty rare. Let me know if you still need a schematic. If I can't google it, I'll sketch one out and email it.

6. duckbunny

Hey thanks Fum!
    I'm really coming to the opinion that I should just do the right thing and give it to an expert to mod. There's a good tech nearby, and I like throwing business at local independents, whenever possible!
    Thanks for your drawing offer...You're a true gentleman and a scholar!
    (That's why I like this place!)

-db