Need Your Advise - Acoustic needed

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by ixsaves13, Feb 24, 2009.

1. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

I've been asked to do acoustic playing more recently and now I am considering trading / selling one of my electric guitars to fund one. So considering a trade for my Tyler Classic (landau model) I'm figuring that I could get approx about $2200 - $2400 and am looking for a good acoustic in that price range. My preferences are rosewood... nothing really beats an old martin I played a while back, but obviously that is out of the budget. The guitar will be used for rhythm (strumming), but I love to fingerpick. I haven't been in the market for an acoustic for years, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

If you need more info from me... please let me know as I'm not sure what references i would need to add to clarify what would fit my needs.

Like most people looking for an acoustic...
    Full even tone
    Easy playability
    Rosewood / spruce top
    Not overly bassy or bright...
    Need some sort of electronics to plug it in... preamp would be nice

Thanks in advance for your guy's suggestions!

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

You shouldn't have ANY problems being into a very nice guitar (especially gently used) from Martin, Collings, SCGC, or any of the other mainstays.......given the current economy.

Good luck.

3. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

A used Santa Cruz OM/PW or D/PW would fit the bill and should be under $2K. Add the pickup of your choice and you're set.

4. ixsaves13

Great! Thank you guys for the advise. Now i just need to find someone either willing to trade or something.... Anybody want a tyler? hahah I know I know wrong place. It's a joke... :)

Any recommendations that you guys would have for second hand acoustics? Anybody in the Socal area got one I could try out?

5. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

6. bassethound

bassethound Member

try out a guild d-55. picked a new one up last year for 2,300. gorgeous, versatile, and easy playing.

7. northernlake

northernlake Member

That kind of money should easily buy you an early seventies Martin D-28 or D-35. Check the Buy and Sell section on the Martin Forum (umgf.com).

8. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    I'd check out a 000 or auditorium shaped guitar if I were you - they are much more versatile, IMO... dreadnought's are fine for strumming but fingerstyle is kinda lost in there... also, I would not be "glued" to rosewood, especially if you don't want it "too bass-y or too bright"; rosewood seems to excel in the boomy/high end range.

There are a lot of wonderful instruments out there - stay away from early 70's Martins! I owned one and heard a bunch and they are dogs... - but Santa Cruz Guitars, Collings, some newer Martins, and a whole flock of smaller luthiers are out there and would be a great acoustic for you... I have 2 hand-made acoustics by Mark Angus; he's currently working out of the Guitar Shop in Laguna Beach on PCH just north of the Canyon Road... check his stuff out!!!

good luck - this guitar will be a life-long friend for you... enjoy!!!

John Seth Sherman

9. go7

go7 Member

For that kind of $ you can get a real nice used acoustic. Play a bunch and keep an open mind. I play exclusively finger style [acoustic + electric] I have a Martin 000 18GE and a HD28 Martin both bought used. As you know currently a buyers market. Some very fine acoustics at low prices. Good luck!

10. Deacon

Deacon Member

I bought a Martin D18-GE last year for about $1,800.

It's the best acoustic I've ever owned by far, including a Taylor 615ce and Rainsong WS1000. No comparison.

Now D18's are mahogany back and sides, but its tone is absolutely stunning and it sounds great played either flatpicking or fingerstyle. HUGE sounding guitar.

Just my $0.02.

11. Peppy

Peppy Member

Agreed.

12. ixsaves13

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be looking out for all the mentioned makes and models!