Need your opinion: jmp 2203 needs solo boost and gain boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Flatcat, May 20, 2008.

1. Flatcat

Flatcat Member

I've been looking into this for a while now, and well.. too many pedals available :)

I'm using a marshall jmp2203 (mv) amp. I really like the sound as it is.

Especially when the volume's at around 6 and pre-amp all the way up. That's great for solo's, not so great for my ears or àny soundguy. I can already hear them say "please turn that amp down" --> there goes my fantastic sound.

So anyway, let's say I'm playing my jmp at 4 (volume) and 6 or 7 (pre-amp) in a live setting.

I play a modern style of punkrock by the way. Not looking for bluesy overdrives or so.. Playing Gibson guitars with humbuckers

I need it to do two things:

* Get louder for solo's.
    * I'd like just a little more gain and sustain, like I would have with 6 (volume) and 10 (pre-amp).

I've been looking into this stuff:

* Keeley Flexi 4x2 or any type of Tubescreamer
    --> what's the difference between 808 and ts9 by the way
    * RC Boost
    * MXR 10 band eq (I believe Slash is using this one for solo's)
    * MXR & CAE Boost/Overdrive (that's in Slash's velvet revolver rig now)
    * Keeley Katana
    * Zvex Super Duper
    * Fulltone OCD

I don't really mind using more than one pedal, budget isn't really an issue.

So what's your opinion? If you reàlly think another pedal that's not in the list suits me better, please tell me. But don't get me too confused :)

Thanks in advance!

2. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have been searching for a combination like you are looking for. I play at low home volumes though so it's harder for me to judge a pedal than at a gig volume. Right now I use a Fulldrive 2 Mosfet. In comp-clean OD mode it retains all the clarity of my MiniPlex 2 only it adds a bit of gain. The boost side of it works ok for me....but also fills out the sound a bit so that it sounds a tad more mushy not a whole lot louder.

I'd say try a TS type pedal set to clean boost and use something like a EQ or RC booster etc to increase your volume.

The problem with already running a certain amount of gain and then hitting the front end of your amp with multiple pedals is that you'll get to a point of saturation where volume won't increase with a boost but gain and compression will.

I just bought the MXR CAE Boost/OD, and the boost side is great but the OD side is not that great.

3. Timmylikesthing

Timmylikesthing Member

OCD.

I have the same amp. It's incredible. The OCD just adds something to it. On our last EP we did one of the solos with a Gibson LP Custom -> OCD -> JMP

I've managed to get away with quite a bit of volume on stage with it though (10 is LOUD, but I've got to indulge my spinal tap urges from time to time) it all depends on the speakers.

Also, the subdecay liquid sunshine is a nice boost for it. It adds volume but no extra "dirt" on its own accord.

I'd still recommend the OCD first and foremost.

Good luck.

Tim

4. Flatcat

Flatcat Member

A friend of mine says the Barber ltd. could be good too..

(and he has an analogman TS for sale)

How does that ocd compare to a tubescreamer?

I'm willing to go until 5 or 6 on pre-amp volume, that should get me an ok volume boost right?

edit:Tim, what speakers do you use? Mine is a bogner 4x12 v30cab.. do you use greenbacks or so?

5. Flatcat

Flatcat Member

drowning in topics.. up!

Guess it's bout evening in the US now, going to sleep, hope to see some result in the morning :)

6. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I'm not familiar with your exact amp, but I play a 50-watt Marshall-style head and play what sounds like a similar vein of music.

I use a dirty boost for the extra hair and sustain (I prefer my Tone Factor 75 Special, but the Keeley Katana and MXR Micro-Amp both did fairly similar things); this is my main or rhythm sound. For a solo boost, I usually use some sort of fuzz, dimed. That might not be your sound, but you can probably use any OD or even another dirty or clean boost (SHO, Catalinbread SCP) to get the same dynamic effect without the fuzz. Things I've used in the past that are not fuzz include the EH LPB-1 (this is a magic pedal for the price), the Beavis Audio Research Trostky Drive (exactly like the LPB-1, but with better parts, construction, and tone controls), and lately the Mojo Hand Mystick Octavius (gives a great, thick OD with plenty of volume and no shrillness; a toggle turns it into an octave fuzz, which is also great for solos).

I hope that helps a little. Good luck!

7. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I've got two 2203s and tried using pedals for the solo boost thing but it never really worked very well for me. Finally had the amps modded with an extra Master Volume. That's the real way to do it. For about the cost of a pedal ($200) you get two Master Volume knobs that are foot switchable. Set one for rhythm, one for solos... and there you go. A good Marshall tech should know how to do this.

For added gain/sustain I have tried dozens of pedals. My top five would be:
    Lovepedal Eternity (Roadhouse Version)
    Barber Direct Drive
    Menatone Red Snapper
    BYOC Screamer Clone (with most of the optional mods in the kit)
    Boss SD-1 (Keeley Stacked mod)

On all of the these into a 2203 I would start with boost type settings - Gain low, Level high.

8. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

9. tcrash

tcrash Supporting Member

If you figure it out let me know. I ahve the same rig, and have been searching for the same results. I have tried and used many, many pedal combinations. At the moment: I use a Keeley modded TS808 set at unity vol. to add "hair" the little extra saturation I need for certain things. I use a dual COT 50 (one side is voiced cleaner and louder than the other) I use both sides together for solos, it really adds the sustain and a little vol.
    My problem: I cant get enough vol. boost to really cut through a live band at gig volumes. I've tried the SHO, TIM, Timmy, Blues driver, Catalinbread, xotic, box of rock, king of tone, purple plexi, eternity,
    If anyone knows the answer here, I'd love to know as well.

10. bob01480

bob01480 Member

You might want to audition a Box of Rock. Great for adding some extra drive and has a separate solo boost side. These things seem to love Marshall's. I'm really enjoying it with my little Marshall Studio 15. A couple nice Vexter ones ones in the Emporium now priced right that if it didn't work out you could flip it. Check out some of the clips on You Tube. Great little box IMHO/YMMV.

11. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I would suggest some type of a treble booster/ rangemaster clone. Analogman Beano.... Keeley Java Boost.... Dyna Ranger... etc.

12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

here's a long, juicy thread about this very subject.

13. Flatcat

Flatcat Member

I also found another option...

I also have a jcm 800 2210 that has some nice leads.

Only one cabinet (bogner 4x12) though.

Up until yesterday I didn't know of the existence of that tonebone headbone.

So maybe i'd get the best tone that way, as I never was much of a pedal guy anyway..

I'll check the pedals out though, I'll see what sounds best :)

Thanks to everyone for your time, if anyone else wants to contribute be my guest!

14. rob2001

rob2001 Member

+1 on the OCD. That and a Boss SD-1 are the best i've found for boosting an 800. Or run the amp a bit cleaner, use the ocd for rythm dirt and solo boost with an SD-1. Turns a single channel 800 into a three channel beast at any volume.

15. Flatcat

Flatcat Member

Just tried a barber ltd and analgoman TS at a friends place.

That analogman sounded good!

With the pre-amp even at 7 it still gives a nice volume boost and that extra gain I'm looking for.

Still curious for that OCD...

16. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Have you considered a THD HotPlate? I've been running my 2203 and 100watt SLP with HotPlates and its nice to get that sound without the stadium volume :) that + a booster would work

17. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I have a Marshall 2204 and I use a Boss SD-1 (STOCK) for the main "crunch" boost. To make solos cut through I use a CatalinBread VariOboost Pro and set it for a fixed wah sound. Boosting certain frequencies is often more effective for cutting through a mix than boosting your overall volume.

Cheers,

CJ

18. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Soldano hot mod in v2..pops in like a tube.

Or hotplate

I use both of these with a clean boost to tighten things up or depending on the pickups. Boosts i use are the bad monkey (colours tone) SD-1 ( a little raspy at times) BB preamp, and BD-2 H20 modded pedal which i really like for the clean thing. You also have to figure that you might also like what the boost does to the tone. I'd love to try a treb booster next.. apparently you can snip a diode in the DS-1 and it is a good clean boost + treb boost on the tone knob.