Need your Opinions! Black Cat 1x12 vs Kingsley vs Metropolis 30.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by micjonga, Jun 2, 2008.

1. micjonga

micjonga Member

So not that you follow what I do with regard to buying selling etc... amps, but if you have seen any of my recent post you'll notice that I've been searching yet again for MY perfect EL84 tone machine. That being said, I've owned the following and sold them...really only missing one..

Hayseed 30 - I think what is in my head is slightly left of Vox but with EL84s.
    Goodsell 17 MkII - Nice but it didn't fit me well.
    Bruno UG30 - Might be the best sounding amp I've played as yet but I felt it needed or should I say wanted to be played LOUD!

I just want an EL84 amp so I'm still searching.

Here is what I'm looking at. My budget is fairly limited to the amp...let's say 2100.00 shipped.

Here is what I'm interested in:

Bad Cat Black Cat - I've owned a Hot Cat and still get to play it when I want to and like it but really want EL 84s.

Maybe a Trem Cat as well.

Kingsley 30 or 32 - I've read nice things but rare to fine one for sell.

Bogner Metropolis - Played a 15 watter the other day and it's interesting. I'd like to play the 30 watter with reverb.

What are your opinions off any of these.

Thanks and I know I can count on you all!

2. billstets

billstets Member

It's tough because I only have experience with the Kingsley Deluxe 30, and I have owned one for about 4 years. THE best amp I have every played, for me anyway. But I've never heard the other two you mention.

I wonder if someone has experience with all three?

3. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Played a Bogner Metropolis and found it to be kind of one-dimensional sounding for an EL84 powered amp.

4. mbetter

mbetter Member

I've played a Metropolis 30, a Black Cat and a Bruno UG30.. I own the UG30. On a completely different level than the other amps mentioned IMO.

5. kodecar

kodecar Member

I haven't played any of these amps (so I should probably just shut the hell up) but, the Black Cat seems very close to a C-30 Matchless in terms of specs.

I do have an original C-30 and it is totally killer. There is a Black Cat or two in the emporium right now.

6. micjonga

micjonga Member

Yeah....the Kingsley is the one haunting me. I keep hearing nothing but praise. I don't think I've been able to find anything negative about them.

I am talking to a couple of guys right now about the Kingsley but it's more expensive than my current budget. Not much more but when the well is dry it's just plain dry!

7. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

There is a Kingsley D32 in the emporium. They are rare compared to a Badcat or Bogner.

The Kingsley and the Badcat cover the same territory. I know nothing about the Bogner. I prefer the Kingsley for the warmth and depth of it's cleans but the BC is very nice in that regard. The Kingsley sounds a bit more natural sounding to my ears. Reverb is nice , too.

8. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I have not tried the Kingsley or the Metropolis, but I have a Black Cat 30R. I had a 2x12 combo several years ago, but sold it because it was so heavy. I missed it so much that last year I bought a head and separate 2x12 cab. It has great build quality and gets its own sound.

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Metropolis 30 Reverbs are great. I lent one to my producer friend and it's been like four years he is still making records with it. I eventually got another. Watch out for the volume though - these can be incredibly loud.

I also like the UG30 but I never played one. I used to play with a really good player who had one of those and he got a lot of mileage out of it.

10. mbetter

mbetter Member

If you thought the UG30 was too loud, the rest of these 30 watters are going to be too loud as well.

11. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

The BC and Kingsley have 1/2 power switches, MV's, and in some cases pentode/triode switches. I'm pretty sure the Bogner has a MV at the least. The UG 30 has none of those options.

12. micjonga

micjonga Member

57special you hit the nail on the head. I want to have the flexibility to play multi venues and at home as well when recording.

I am leaning toward the Kingsley 30 or 32. We'll see how this unfolds.

13. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

The Kingsley is probably the nicest souding amp I have personally played. I have a Valvetech Hayseed only because I couldn't swing the Kingsley financially and the valvetech is a great soudning amp for the money. Kingsley's can be ordered with power scaling too which really increases the flexibility as far as multi venues, home and recording.

14. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Are you serious?

Did you try the scherzo switch?

15. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Metropolis worth a serious listen. Try it with a good Nocaster or a 52 hot rod deluxe.

16. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I have a Kingsley D30 head I bought used off the Emporium. Incredible sounding amp. My EL84 dream amp. I prefer single channel amps, so the D30 fits the bill just fine. And for a one-channel amp, the Kingsley D30 has a boatload of tonal options -- mine has the pentode/triode and half-power switches and a variable line-out on the back, and on the front has an EQ lift switch and bright switch. All these options really put a lot of tone shaping at your fingertips. The EQ section also has a lot of variation and sweep in the adjustability to tailor your sound to the cab used, room or club being played in, etc. I used it live for the first time a few weeks ago, and I have never sounded so good. My girlfriend, who I have slowly and steadily turned into a guitar tone snob, basically looked at me with big eyes and said look no further.

Not only does it have the best juicy, chimy EL84 clean tones I've ever heard, but it will also do balls-out rock if you want it to. If Two Rock ever made an EL84 amp, it would be quite the showdown with the Kingsley D30.

Incredible amp. Not 5 minutes after I first played it, I was on the phone with Simon telling him how much I liked it and ordering a matching 2x12. A keeper for me as much as my Komet 60. Another great thing about it is that when you call Kingsley Amplification, you get to speak to Simon Jarrett, the actual builder of the amps. The best customer service I've ever come across.

Can you tell I like it?

17. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Are you looking for the traditional Voxy EF86/EL84 sound or just looking for an EL84 based amp ?

For EL84, two channel amps that can go from clean to mean with the kick of footswitch, I recommend Kingsley. I've had 3 Kingsleys and the D32S I have now is just stellar. It's got a plethora of tones inside of it. One of the best built amp I have seen too.

-Dave

18. micjonga

micjonga Member

I'm NOT looking for Traditional at all. I think that might be were I went wrong FOR ME, earlier. I think that's why I'm looking at both the Kingsley and Black Cat. They not traditional.

Man...the Kingsley really sounds like it would be the IT for me...of course I've said that so many times my wife wants to make it my phone ring tone :)

Thanks for all the input....it stinks making these kinds of decisions without truly getting to play a Kingsley. You just don't find them for sale to often.

19. micjonga

micjonga Member

BTW...I agree the Metropolis is worth a listen. It might not be the AMP I choose but it had lots of different tones in there. I had a ball playing that amp!

20. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

another very happy Kingsley owner here! I have the Deluxe 32C with power scaling (and pentode/triode modes for each type of tube) and a half-power switch...running one set of tubes on triode also affects the sound on the other set of tubes and so the possibilities of blending sounds is almost endless (and of course one can blend channels with a A/B/Y pedal...and other options can be explored with the builder...the 32C is amazingly versatile in its range of tones and I really like that it has its own thing going and is not a clone of any particular amp. the eq lift switch is really really cool as it adds this monumental layer of thickness that is hard to describe...can thicken up the already beautiful cleans or can turn gainier sounds into rock and roll tone of the gods.

amp is really touch sensitive and so you can get clean to screaming with varying pick attack...

The C mod is worth considering as the 4 power tubes are 2 EL84s and then 2 octal tubes (comes with 6v6s but you can run a number of other tubes without rebiasing) and there are dials on the front of the amp so that you can adjust the input by tube type. You can also just run the amp without the EL84s at all and just the two 6v6s or whatever tubes you put in there. boost pedal with a switch and dial for each channel...great sounding amp that has a million sounds in it and all of them good!
    I can't offer anything helpful on the other amps as I only have experience with the Kingsley.

good luck with the search!

Eric