Need your opinions... Did I RUIN this Fender Esquire?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by baimun, Jun 18, 2008.

Beck-ish Esquire?

1. Very nice! I approve of the comfort contours.

2. Glad you like it, but it looks a bit odd.

3. You sick, twisted bastard... step away from the disc sander!!!!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. baimun

baimun Member

I've wanted a Fender Esquire ever since playing the Jeff Beck model...

[​IMG]

... so when I got this fantastic playing/sounding Esquire with a slick/sweet rosewood neck I made the appropriate "Jeff Beck Modifications"

[​IMG]

It seems that some people can't appreciate the comfort contours and/or think I'm smacked in the head for not wanting to refinish the guitar with the new contours.

Personally, I think it rides the balance between the Jeff Beck Esquire....
    [​IMG]
    ... without bringing myself to beating a brand new guitar with a chain and weathering it.

In fact, I sealed the newly exposed wood with a few coats of tung oil so the different parts of the body will age together as I play it.

[​IMG]

So.... subtle tribute, or sadistic train wreck???

2. baimun

baimun Member

It was a brand new 50's style Fender Esquire. The guy from Davis Guitar Works set it up with a Warmoth Rosewood neck and compensated brass saddles.

Despite the Jeff Beck-ish looks... I've been playing Andy Summers type licks on it.

3. Joisey

Joisey Member

I would equate "ruin" with unpayable. Looks playable from where I'm standing. Don't over think it.

4. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

it just looks weird to me. I say if you're gonna do it then go all out and relic the hell out of it otherwise it looks half assed.

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

If it's comfortable... it's perfect. Good thing you sealed it. To me it's actually more attractive than the beck Esquire NOT being beat to hell. But I don't typically drag my guitars behind my truck as I drive to work either. :D

6. KBR

KBR Member

Is the rosewood neck bright or dark/bassy sounding?
    I always use contours on Tele's.

7. baimun

baimun Member

To my ears, it somewhat curtailed the sharpness of the tele, but still has lots of chime and articulation. I don't want to say "scooped" but it's very "bell like".

8. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Yes, you ruined the look of it.

9. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

If it works for you and feels great, then that is all that really matters. It's your guitar!

10. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I don't think you runined it however I'd relic the fool out of it to make it look more like the beck model.

11. Mackerusa

Mackerusa Supporting Member

Did you do it for show or for playibility? If you did it for playibility and you are pleased with the outcome the look doesn't matter. Beck didn't mod his because he thought it looked cool.

12. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

As long as it plays well, you didn't ruin it for yourself. However, if you decide to sell it down the line, then, yes, absolutely, it's ruined.

-Austin

13. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Sorry, but when one of the poll options is "You sick, twisted bastard ... " I have to go with that regardless ...

But who cares what it looks like, if it feels great to play you will enjoy it more and play better in the long run.

14. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

It appears to be playable. You did some naughty things to it. But you did not ruin it.

15. baimun

baimun Member

:AOK

Maybe the headstock should read "Fender naughtythings"

:D

16. Grenville

Grenville Member

Not enough!

See, on JB's the curve of the carve goes from below the strap button to a couple of inches from the waist.

Show your commitment! :dude

BTW as a Strat player I love the JB modified guitar and would certainly be happy to do that if/when I get an Esquire.

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I have two parts Teles with solid rosewood necks. I think that's a fair description of how they sound, and they feel GREAT!

18. baimun

baimun Member

Yes... the feel is so smooth it makes my other guitars (even the oil/wax'd Ernie Ball Music Man necks) jealous. :AOK

19. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I am not a fan of man made relics. The real deal? I am fine with. Yours looks too perfect for a relic. If I was in your shoes, I would have reliced it all the way or left it alone. THe contours are cool. But I think you need to take it in the alley and drag it and wack it with a chain. Perhaps lightly step on it with cleets on. Spill a tea spoon of oil on it. Oil from your last oil change!

20. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I like the fact that you made it your own, but personally, if it were mine at this stage I'd refinish it to integrate the contours into the rest of the body, otherwise it sorta looks like it wasn't so much deliberate as it was a misguided 'relic' job . . . which I gather it wasn't. Just what I'd do

. . . but if it feels good and sounds good that's what counts . . . unless it makes you self conscious while you play it

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008