Neighbor asked me to turn off pressure washer @ 4pm

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by murraythek, May 11, 2015.

1. murraythek

murraythek Member

Does this sound reasonable to you?

I'm a working father of 2 with a large yard that requires annual maintenance.
    I don't have a lot of opportunities to get out there so I decided it was a good idea to get on top of my spring cleanup with a quick wash of my deck before dinner.

I get halfway through the job when my neighbor flags me from across the yard. I turn off my machine and she states she has company from out of town and its mother day, so could I turn off the pressure washer because its too loud.

I was shocked at first and agreed because I didn't want to start a scene, but do you guys think this is a fair request?

2. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

Gas powered?

3. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

While you were well within your rights, from the standpoint of being a good neighbor, you did the right thing. Today was a holiday, and I can see lots of people having outdoor dinners and activities. Turning off a loud machine probably went a long way toward her viewing you as a good neighbor.

4. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Yes, it's a fair request.

5. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Sounds reasonable considering the day.

6. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

The little red guy on my left shoulder says you should have used it to write "sorry about the noise" in his lawn.

7. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a great time to call mom or take the wife for a walk.

8. deejaid

deejaid Supporting Member

I think it's a fair request. It seems like an unwritten rule around here that Saturday mornings is fair game to run leaf blowers, pressure washers, mowers and what not. But Sunday is the day for quiet and relaxing.

Sunday seems to be the day we socialize (have people over for bbq) and it seems that most of my neighbors if they have guests, it's on Sunday so I don't do any work around the house.

I agree it's tough finding time to do yard work with the little ones around though.

9. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I think since it was a holiday and if they had guests, sure... it's a reasonable request.

On the other hand, if you'd hired the work done, would she have asked the contractor to stop working? And if she did ask, I doubt he would have stopped or he would have charged you some extra $$$ for a lost production day.

Still, unless she's super over-the-top, I'd try to keep the neighbors happy. Can't always do it, but it's a nice goal.

10. madstrat

madstrat Member

If they have been cool to you then yes

Otherwise Spray her in the face

11. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Very fair request, Moms and Family are important, I'm a bit surprised your having to ask us.

12. murraythek

murraythek Member

Their company had nothing to do with mothers day and they have no children.

13. Calaban

Calaban Member

I think her request was reasonable.

I also think it would have been reasonable for you to keep going if you had chosen to do that.

It was nice of you to stop, but if you hadn't and she got upset, I would view that response as unreasonable.

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I think she was a little out of line to ask, but I also think it's best that you did what you did.

This time.

15. Gumbygreeneye

Gumbygreeneye Member

Yup. A fair request. She's entertaining on Mother's Day. Not unreasonable. If she wasn't having guests or the day wasn't special, then not a reasonable request.

Also, if she was nice about, then her request should be given more consideration.

Oops just spotted the previous comment. Regardless, I think if nicely asked, the goodwill you show will go a long way on another day.

16. murraythek

murraythek Member

Thanks for chiming in guys.

This couple is retired and came into our neighborhood with money a few years ago. They have had multiple projects going over the years and have backyard parties on a consistent basis. My wife and I have never once complained, even with the napping of little ones. My concern was that I bent over to accommodate their get together today and it opens the door for future demands.

17. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Give a little, take a little. It's all part of being neighbours.

I have one fantastic neighbour. Good guy, a retiree. Loves music, going to concerts. We always look out for each other, each others place. I've has renters that have had bands that practiced in my basement. Never bothered him in the least, again, a music lover.

The neighbours on the other side own a restaurant, so they are never home. One weekend they replaced their driveway, so there was a skid steer with a jackhammer end to tear up the old concrete. I never said a word about it. Again, for all the bands and loud stuff I've done over the last 10 years with nothing ever said, I wasn't going to mention something I knew would only be a day or two.

No big deal at all.

18. Jay K

Jay K Member

Add me to the fair request group assuming the request was made politely. It would be another matter if the neighbor asked you never to use your pressure washer but finding a mutually convenient time doesn't seem unreasonable.

19. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

Here's what ya need...

[​IMG]

Play Hendrix' 'Star Spangled Banner' at dawn for awhile.

20. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Now you can ask them to turn it down in the future. :aok