Neighbor Just Visited...Thank You...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Campfired, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Only if they're really tired or sick. Or if I might say something that would really irk them if they were already in a cr@ppy mood.

We try to help them feel better by expressing empathy for their situation, but sometimes people aren't usually happy because they just wish to pay for their items, go home and try to feel better. We've had folks arrive from a hospital visit, only to learn that their insurance claim didn't go through. That makes more work and pisses folks off. Or if the reason they visited our store, we didn't have what they were trying to find, out-of-stock, discontinued, whatever.

Or if their day was exceptionally confusing or frustrating. These are the things that generally lead to debate or issues.

That being said, only on rare occasions do I encounter someone who tries my patience or someone who is difficult to conduct transactions with. Customers are usually forgiving if we're short-staffed one evening, if there might be longer lines during peak hours, or if a customer is somewhat slower to conduct a transaction if they're performing a refund or writing a check.

Management is there to help front store employees, but not all employees are quick to page a manager to help out if the lines begin to pile up. Fortunately, this is not the case with me. When customers have large quantity purchases or one can see they've got a full cart, it just clicks that one needs to demonstrate practical knowledge and ask for management to step in to assist. Most of the kids do it their way, but could use a little help to know when to ask for help. EDIT: Working for the store for 15 years has afforded me more experience than kids who've worked there for only a season or 2.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. Campfired

TBH, a lot of trivial knowledge is really about trying to be accurate, but comes off sounding like smoke and mirrors. That being said, if one could provide a "printed copy' of what was one was trying to learn, you might have a better view of what reality was. The same goes for folks who need to keep track of their spending...this is why we provide printed copies of our receipts for their purchases...

3. Campfired

Both, thanks. I think I gave away IIRC 6 bananas, and kept 4, and also kept the 2 English cucumbers for a salad.

Blaqhat likes this.
  4. Campfired

Tall girl, headlamp for the dark, bundled up in her coat, have seen her before during warmer weather, not exceptionally beautiful, but laughed when I said her dog could smell the ravioli on my clothes I had cooked for dinner about 2-½ hours ago...the dachshund was shy and reserved...

Asking for a friend...?

5. Roark

Roark Member

I feel like I need a warm washrag.

6. dinocicerelli

dinocicerelli Member

Who paged you, anyway. lol

Suave Eddie and StanG like this.
  7. Campfired

I didn't think Pete meant to sound holier than. He's a west coast guy where it's the land of milk and honey, dried fruit and granola. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest if Pete was a wealthy store owner or employee, what matters is if he did his job the best he knew how, but was also a wise and caring boss who looked after his fellow employees, if you get my drift.

Me, I'm just the servant who stands behind a counter and conducts transactions, trying to be helpful, and doing my job the best I know how. If that doesn't count for anything, my net worth could be summed on a piece of printed paper with life accomplishments, wisdom and friendships along the way, 'cuz my money ain't gonna count for anything when I depart this planet.

Now that being said, I intend to live my life according to the "rules" and try to not urge folks too harshly to stick with what they know and try to learn new stuff, although they may live by the adage, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks." If a person can understand a new concept or idea, and are willing to put in the effort, they can learn. That is what keeps me humble, the willingness to accept correction while learning new concepts.

Pete was offering his knowledge based on his experience with others. While his knowledge may not directly apply to my situation currently, it could in the future, so its best for me to keep that knowledge tucked away for future reference.

8. Campfired

Little soap, warm water? Apply carefully to remove oil and dirt, rinse and repeat if necessary.

Roark likes this.
  9. Campfired

You got that right. Sometime between 6:30 and 7 PM on FOX. Between Two & A Half Men and Fleshy the Hairless Cat. Store doesn't sell tobacco anymore, but smoking cessation products. Selling tobacco is not in line with our store policy of helping you live a healthier life, although you may think you need a smoke after sex. Have you looked lately?

10. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

Makes buying condoms and tampons less embarrassing... assuming one has such hang ups.

11. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

https://www.cvs.com/shop/kraft-velveeta-shells-and-cheese-prodid-661264?skuId=661264

[​IMG]

sanrico, rambleon, Roark and 3 others like this.
  12. marktweedy

marktweedy Equal opportunity baconist Gold Supporting Member

I guess "Prepared Cheese Product" is bad enough, and you didn't want to slam us with the "nutrition information for saturated fat and sodium content"?

sanrico, rambleon, AZChilicat and 2 others like this.
  13. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Again??? I get frustrated when that happens...

marktweedy likes this.
  14. Roark

Roark Member

I'd have to be oily and dirty first, but sometimes that's part of the fun, you should try it.

AZChilicat and StanG like this.
  15. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Supporting Member

Ah yes, the 'printed copy'. At the store, it easily allows those to take back what was done. For some, otherwise it is challenging to do so IRL. Why is this so?

sanrico, rambleon and dinocicerelli like this.
  16. marktweedy

[​IMG]

sanrico, rambleon, CRBMoA and 2 others like this.
  17. Campfired

18. marktweedy

I hate to break it to you but Velveeta isn't cheese, Bob. As it says on the box, it is a "pasteurized cheese product". It also contains a host of additives and preservatives. Now I don't know AZ nearly as well as you do Bob, but I am going to bet that his pizza contained no such product. So you see, there is likely no irony at all.

http://www.organicauthority.com/what's-in-velveeta

sanrico and rambleon like this.
  19. Campfired

And we're debating what now? Smoking nicotine products vs. eating Velveeta? You have the floor, sir.

20. marktweedy

I'm not debating anything. But you go ahead. I am sure you will have a grand time typing away, without reference to anything anyone else posts, or for that matter, what you post. Perhaps you can offer up some sage advice while you are at it.