Neil Diamond isn't terrible..

crazyboutguitars

Gold Supporting Member
..been listening to some Neil Diamond today.
People request him all the time. Always super old people.

He got brought up in that thread I made about old fuddy-duddy tracks too.

I've never actually listened to the dude - just figured it was some old fogey bs.

Decided to actually have a listen, realised I know a load of his tracks and he also wrote or co-wrote other songs I already know.
Who knew he wrote Red Red Wine? Or cowrote I'm A Believer?

Big apologies to all the people that have requested Neil Diamond (or John Denver for that matter), and I've just kinda laughed it off because LOL DUDE'S OLD AS HECK.

._.

Absolutely love finding great older artists. Great stuff.
Who knew?
I saw him in concert about 40 years ago because some of my friends wanted to go and were trying to hook me up with some girl. Anyway, he put on a stellar show and made me realize what a great American singer/songwriter/performer he was. I was very entertained and wasn’t even a fan. The band I’m in wants to do Sweet Caroline and it was actually fun learning it. We’re getting a keyboardist hopefully next week, so maybe we can put it back in the set list and make it sound big. I never cared for the song, but it’s fun to play.

Stargazer60

What he said. His early stuff is much better - more uptempo "folk rock" with cool (and sort of challenging) structures. Very fun to play.
Then he veered off into total cheeseball ballads that led to huge success and panty-throwing concerts - that's when you get Sweet Caroline, Rosie, etc.
Then you missed Neil's critically acclaimed albums of the 2000s, one of which, Home Before Dark (2008), reached the #1 spot on both sides of the Atlantic, among others. I agree about his 80s output, but he "came back" in force with 12 Songs in 2005, produced by Rick Rubin.

Stargazer60

Tom Jones has always rocked. He still does. And he knows his s**t. He knows who he is to many. Remember what he did for Prince...
Tom Jones is a hell of a singer, but I tend to rate artists who write their own songs higher than artists who just perform songs written by others.

Stargazer60

Neil Diamond got (gets?) more pu**y than I ever did/will, he wrote more top hits than I can imagine, and he has made more money (and lost half in divorce) than I can imagine. But he is still a douche bag.
What has Neil Diamond done to you to earn the qualification of a douchebag, except making music you apparently don't like? He's known for being a generous and loyal person. After hurricane Katrina hit Houston, he made the commitment to carve out proceeds from tour merchandise to help rebuild the town. There are actually families living in houses built with Neil's help. There’s lots of those kinds of stories. Yeah, he definitely is a douchebag.

Last edited:

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Todd Rundgren (super whiny as well but I'll try - I understand he's more poppy though).

TR can rock out when he wants to. He used to put a rocker on every album. I always liked this one, very cool lyrics.

Critics got together and they started a game
You get your records for nothin' and you call each other names
Things got out of hand and somebody got sore
Now we're all toonin' up for the rock and roll war

Time to take up sides, helping rock and roll die
Pick up your check at the window...

Back on topic - Neil...

I was MD for a Neil Diamond tribute band for a few years. I can say without exaggeration that every single show we played sold out. We hold attendance records in Norwalk, CT for their outdoor concert series.

And while the Florida shows were full of grey hairs (mostly because Florida is full of grey hairs), the shows we played everywhere else had a lot of young folks, and they knew every word to the songs and sang along like it was the greatest thing in the world. Cheesy? Sure. But people love the cheese.

Adding Neil to your set is an absolute winner.

sfd112

I'm not even that far into his discography yet and dig pretty much everything I've heard.

I've listened to Velvet Gloves and Spit, The Bang Years and am about halfway through Touching Me Touching You.

I legit didn't know he was a rock and roll act. Assumed he was like idk some cheesy ballad guy.

Smokey Lady smokes.
NOTHING beats the music from the 50-70's era! NOTHING! That was music that had a story to tell and not rap that some call music that is full of filth!

Craig S

Neil Diamond wrote some great stuff. His early records were pretty awesome, they recorded in a small studio in NYC and the tracks rocked. As he got more popular the productions got bigger and cheesier, culminating in the Jazz Singer soundtrack - very over the top cornball. But later he found his way back to his roots and started writing great stuff again and seemed more comfortable in his own skin. The guy's the real deal and he treated his band members and crew with respect. Gotta love him.

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member

I've never actually listened to the dude - just figured it was some old fogey bs.

Decided to actually have a listen, realised I know a load of his tracks and he also wrote or co-wrote other songs I already know.

Big apologies to all the people that have requested Neil Diamond (or John Denver for that matter), and I've just kinda laughed it off because LOL DUDE'S OLD AS HECK.

._.

Who knew?
So...you hated the music before you actually listened to it? I'm sure we are all shocked based on your post history. Possibly moving forward find something out about the subject before you make judgement?

Stargazer60

It just sounds like Las Vegas show schmaltz.

I know he’s a giant seller and massively popular but he reminds of the bad Elvis bad years.
Honestly, if that's your conclusion after watching this video clip, it's all prejudice. Because this particular performance is not Las Vegas show schmaltz. According to Rolling Stone magazine, "(...) Robbie Robertson had produced his new album Beautiful Noise and he wanted Neil to perform “Dry Your Eyes,” a song they wrote together about America healing itself after the horrible assassinations that rocked the Sixties. Diamond took the stage right after Joni Mitchell’s three-song set and, truth be told, absolutely killed. It was a stellar performance, and probably the first time many in the audience had seen him live." Furthermore, Neil's repertoire is so varied that it's impossible to dismiss it in its entirety. If you do, you simply don't like pop or rock music. Some of it is cheese or schmalz, but his early songs were not and the critically acclaimed albums of the 2000s aren't either. That's terrific songwriting, no less.

Rex Anderson

Maybe not one of his most popular songs, but memorable to me.

I saw a guy at a piano bar/restaurant in a small town that sounded just like him, spooky but very good.

gregunit

._.

Who knew?
I like his really old stuff like solitary man. He wrote a lot for other people. Archie's, monkeys....

PorkChop

Gold Supporting Member
My dad had a large grip of albums from various artists. My mom had ABBA’s greatest hits and every Neil Diamond album. He was my first concert and I still remember it as the loudest. I pretty sure it wasn’t though. I’ve seen Dinosaur Jr. several times in small clubs. His music endures for me.

randalltampa

._.

Who knew?
I've heard him referred to as "The Jewish Elvis!" - lol. Seriously, in his day (and mine), the man could hold an audience. 'Live Gold' is the only album of his that anyone needs, and always ready to go in my 'Way Back Machine'. He wrote hits for The Monkees (who Hendrix
opened for), when they were big enough to displace The Beatles, for a time, in the charts.

Bass Butcher

The "super old dude" part puts a label on the op, not Neil. He is only 2 years older than Mick Jagger, who is still allowing platinum selling singers a third his age back him up on live shows, lol
Some people play instruments, some people are musicians ;)

Who knew?
"There are two types of people in the world: Those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't." -from What About Bob

I do like Neil Diamond and everywhere I've traveled around the world, I've met people of all ages who like Neil Diamond. Almost everyone I've met can hum Sweet Caroline.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom