• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Neil Finn & Mark Hart of Crowded House / Pedals and Stuff

ArtDecade

Just saw this posted on FB. It is from one of the shows this week in Sydney. You can see some pedals and I figured that some of you would be interested. It appears that Neil's board is on the left, because you can see an ancient Hot Cake, a T-Rex of some sort, and his Freeze pedal. To be honest, I am pretty shocked that he doesn't have his Memory Man on the board because it has been a staple for such a long time. Heck, he even used to have a few of them on there at one point.

Anyhow, the pedals don't matter as much as the music. Neil is one of the greatest songwriters alive today. An absolute living legend and a gentleman to boot!

Meriphew

Sort of related - If you haven't watched the film "The Sun Came Out", make sure you do. Neil Finn gathered a crew of various cool musicians, wrote some tunes, then documented the studio sessions on film. Really cool movie.

Squatch57

I got to see a bit of Crowded House at the Opera House last night, sounded as good as ever
I didn't even know they were on, I'd won tickets for a Shakespeare play and luxo meal on a radio quiz
To see some Crowded House was a bonus...
I've been a Finn fan since Mental Notes (which was before Neil joined his brother in Split Enz)
dang! that was 40 years ago!

Can anyone help finish a full pedal list?

NF:
TU3
Crybaby
Hotcake
Mudhoney
EHX Freeze
Lehle Switcher (for DMM)
DMM
Boss DD-3

MH:
EB Volume
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube
Crybaby
Hotcake
???
Boss Delay
Boss Chorus

MH Top Row:
Lehle? Switcher
Boss TU
Seymour Duncan Shapeshifter?

Love CH. Neil Finn is great songwriter and guitarist. Nice guy too

Squatch57

I wonder if they're the Hotcakes Paul Crowther made when he was in the band in '76. They would've seen a lot of gigs!

Neil's one certainly is. Hardly any paint left on it. I know a couple of other people with those original ones, they sound fantastic. I've had a HC for years but would love to get my hands on an old one

Coldacre

I got to see a bit of Crowded House at the Opera House last night, sounded as good as ever
I didn't even know they were on, I'd won tickets for a Shakespeare play and luxo meal on a radio quiz
To see some Crowded House was a bonus...
I've been a Finn fan since Mental Notes (which was before Neil joined his brother in Split Enz)
dang! that was 40 years ago!
41 years ago. and it's still the best album released with the Finn name on it. "Spellbound" is incredible.

MrPurple

It's probably worth mentioning, for any lapsed fans, that all 6 of the proper studio albums + the rarities collection "Afterglow" have been given the Deluxe re-release treatment and are all 2-CD sets. Remasters of the first 2 albums especially are LONG overdue.

On a gear related note, at a club show in Toronto during one of Neil's solo tours, I was right up at the stage and as Neil's entered one of his rock fueled Les Paul freakouts, his cable flipped up, over my head, and onto the back of my neck. I don't think he was ever aware but I recall sharing a look with a wide eyed, stage-side tech or crew person as I lifted it back over my head. It was black. Good god, that could have ended up very differently.

My buddy has one from about 76 - his 3rd or 4th HC. He's a big Crowded House/Split Enz fan and just kept buying older ones when they popped up. He's had and probably still has all of the versions. He thinks that the original ones and the slightly later 2 knob ones with the midlift switch sound exactly the same, and the 3 knob ones just slightly worse.

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
My buddy has one from about 76 - his 3rd or 4th HC. He's a big Crowded House/Split Enz fan and just kept buying older ones when they popped up. He's had and probably still has all of the versions. He thinks that the original ones and the slightly later 2 knob ones with the midlift switch sound exactly the same, and the 3 knob ones just slightly worse.
I've owned a 1991 Hotcake (Mid Lift circuit) and have owned 5 of the current versions (different eras & variations) and I would agree that the current production versions and earlier Mid Lift circuits sound a bit different. Both great, just variations on a theme.
If that friend of yours decides to part with any of those old Hotcakes, tell him to feel free to contact me! I've always hunted for the earliest version as pictured on Neil's board above, but they don't seem to appear very often in the US.

Trending Topics