Neil Schon, Gary Richrath, Tommy Shaw...

frickengruvin

Gold Supporting Member
Journey wouldn't have happened as Schon founded Journey
I think we all saw what happened to REO when Richrath, uhh, departed.....
I offer up that Tommy Shaw saved Styx from obscurity....great voice, writer and musician!

YMMV

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I offer up that Tommy Shaw saved Styx from obscurity....great voice, writer and musician!

YMMV

This.....

GuitarKidd

I can really only speak for Schon. Amazing. Listening to Journey's newest albumn "Eclipse" and Schon is getting better and better. He is actually one of the main reasons I wanted to play guitar. But if there is no Schon there is no Journey. I only wish that Schon would get more credit for being a player. You really don't ever read to many interviews or see him on the cover of magazines.

fredgarvin

I liked Styx before Tommy Shaw. They became too 'pop' afterward. I realize they may have been tapped out, material wise, when they signed him.

guitarman_nebr

Silver Supporting Member
yea, i think James Young was a great player in Styx as well.

Schon always had too many effects on his solo's, but he is a great player.

Kevin Kronin (sp?) ruined REO.....Richrath made me want to play a Les Paul.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member

YMMV
+1

I really dig Tommy Shaw. I always liked his tunes best in the band, but didn't really consider him as a special player/performer until I saw them live. He put on a show I'll never forget. All over the stage, great voice, tight leads... he was worth the ticket price on his own.

Peace,

DB Cooper

Gary Richrath was always one of my favorite players. I saw REO twice back in the day (late 70s) before the ballad-era, and both times they absolutely rocked. To me, You Get What You Play For is one of the all-time great live albums.

tjsr

From what I read when Journey started out there was going to be two guitar players. Schon was one and Les Dudek was going to be the other. Gary Richrath....REO 1 and REO 2.........the best.

yea, i think James Young was a great player in Styx as well.

Schon always had too many effects on his solo's, but he is a great player.

Kevin Kronin (sp?) ruined REO.....Richrath made me want to play a Les Paul.
absolutely..his bleeding heart lyrivs/singing actually contrasted well with richraths rock n roll playing...but once richrath got the boot, reo went down the crapper

getrguy1

gary richrath was always one of my favorite players. I saw reo twice back in the day (late 70s) before the ballad-era, and both times they absolutely rocked. To me, you get what you play for is one of the all-time great live albums.
+100000000000000000000000000000000

Trending Topics